PDA

View Full Version : Time, and color

DASOTAdex
06-20-2012, 04:34 PM
New saber initiate here!

I am facing a bit of a conundrum. I'm attending Celebration VI on Aug 23, and dressing as a custom Jedi. Of course, I need a lightsaber.

So, my my options are:

1) Go with a silver TCSS hilt of my design
2) Wait for powder coating to be available again and go with a TCSS design
3) Order an Ultrasaber of inferior quality, and not of my design.

So, I guess my big question is, would powder coating be available again for me to get in order in time for CVI? Not sure what the general turnaround time is on orders.

Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jordandau
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
You can always do MHS (tcss) and use spray paint enamel and bake it on. It's not exactly power coat, but it does a great job. Here's tutorial on it

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12093-Part-Painting-and-Baking-Tutorial&highlight=baking

DASOTAdex
06-20-2012, 05:19 PM
I did see that option. My painting skills have always been meh, and I'm worried my wife would kill me if any of the smell stayed in the oven. Does anyone have experience with how smelly it can make the oven?

Jordandau
06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Not at all in my personal experience. There is a little odor of "something" cooking. But afterwards its gone. Some folks around here have purchased toaster ovens and used those with success.

Vlad Doon
06-21-2012, 07:21 AM
The smell won't be that bad. The best option is to wait your wife to go shopping...;;)

More seriously, you won't acheive the same results as Tim's powder coating, especially if you don't have good painting materials nor skills. Besides, the process is long and uneasy...IMO, wait for powder coating to be available again, and if it's not, you can lightly paint your silver hilt without baking, once back from Celebration VI (you're a lucky man), you sand it and done...back to silver...

amwolf
06-21-2012, 07:36 AM
I picked up a cheap toaster oven w a 9"ish tray from one of the big box stores since my wife was adamant about not using "her" oven... Just take your time w the paint and sand between coats (softly) and follow the tutorial.

Silver Serpent
06-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Agreed, a small toaster oven is a great idea. You can pick one up for around $20 at a store, or hit up yard sales/thrift shops for one even cheaper.

Zzan
06-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Agreed with amwolf and Silver Serpent.

Small toaster oven is the way to go. cheap, doesn't make the other half mad, can use whenever you want and use outside if made to by other family members.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
It's actually unsafe to bake painted or powder coated parts in an oven you cook food in. The smell may go away, but the odorless chemicals releases by the paint are still there and will end up in the food. Take the advice given and go to a second store or even your local Wal-Mart and pick up a cheap toaster oven. I use one my wife got for $10 at q local thrift store, and it works just fine.

Jordandau
06-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Wow, noted and corrected!

DASOTAdex
06-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Noted as well. Being in NYC, it may be a bit difficult to find one second hand. Still evaluating my options...