PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated AV switch and power source

JediMasterTim
06-18-2012, 06:12 PM
so I'm buying this Illuminated switch, and was wondering whether I needed a specific battery type? I was also looking to create a recharge port for it, would someone care to give me a rough outline of how to do this? thanks.

mrknify
06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
make sure you pick latching or momentary to suit your needs, i made this mistake, but i'm working around it.

DarkarNights
06-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Battery type is not important as far as the illuminated switch goes, you may need a resistor for the switch's ring led depending on your setup (speaking of which, it will help folks here help you better if you describe exactly what your plan is, i.e. direct drive, buckpuck, PC, ect.). If you plan to do a recharge port, I'd recommend using one of the 7.4V Li-Ion packs. You can find the wiring guide for the recharge port in the PC2.0 PDF Manual, even if you are not using a PC, the port should be wired the same only to whatever your setup is using instead of the PC.

JediMasterTim
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM
ok, thanks y'all. I'm not using a board yet, because this is a prop for my fanfilms, so no led's wired to the blade, that's edited afterwards. what I'm putting in the hilt is my AV mom switch, two accent led's, and a PLI.
EDIT: I'm using an arduino board, writing my own code for it, but was just makin sure I wired it right, my schematics are in the proper forum under JediMasterTim's wiring diagram.

DarkarNights
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Well then, if you are not driving an actual blade LED, then a 7.4V pack might be overkill. If all you have are accent lights and no blade and no sound, then a recharge port would probably also be overkill for your purpose. I'd go with a regular AA or AAA battery holder, the batteries should last a good while without a super bright blade LED to drive.

Jordandau
06-19-2012, 03:18 PM
You also don't really need an arduino if you're just doing pli and a lighted switch.

JediMasterTim
07-09-2012, 11:21 PM
well, I was also running two accent led's that I want to flash and twinkle in a sequence, so I kinda do need an arduino, unless there is an alternate cheaper route that does the same thing.

DarkarNights
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Are you using a sound board? Because the Petit Crouton has built in sequencing for two accent LEDs. I don't know how a PC would compare to the budget you have in mind.

JediMasterTim
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Sorry for the necro, things have been crazy crazy crazy!!! :S I'm not really willing to spend more than 100-150 on this saber, I just want the cool look of a TCSS saber with a few accents(just bells and whistles) to give it that authentic look for my edited videos and such. I may consider going all out one day for a con, but as of right now, bare minimum in the ways of effects like blade and sound, as that is post-comp work I do for myself.