PDA

View Full Version : Build Log: PVC First try

Noctan
06-10-2012, 11:08 PM
These are my first attempts at making PVC sabers. Currently no electronics at all. Was just trying out a few ideas I had.

These pics are of the two sabers about halfway through shaping.

The long handled one was an idea i've had for a while now and has turned out very much how i wanted it to. The entire hilt measures 17.5 inches and at the moment is very close to balanced with a 30 inch PVC pipe blade. The second one is its "little brother" and is intended for my wife. I will be making the smaller on out of MHS parts sometime in the future.

Posting more about how i made them in the next post.

Noctan
06-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Now, how i made them.

First off, all my measurements are in millimeters. Sorry, but im in Australia and thats how it comes in the shops.

Parts:
32mm x 1m pvc pipe - main body of hilt
25mm x 1m pvc pipe - blade
5 x 32mm couplers - thicker sections on hilt
2 x 32mm to 25mm reducers - blade holders
2 x 32mm end caps - one rounded, one square for the pommels

This is one of the couplers cut in half, then shaped with a bench grinder. NOTE when using a bench grinder with pvc DO NOT use in-doors and dont push to hard with your piece, otherwise it will burn. And burning plastic is very bad.

Next i had to file out the edge on the inside. As you can see by the pic, i had to use a pretty savage file first.

Here's one of the finished pieces

This is the 32mm to 25mm reducers. As you can see, its has heaps of potential to cut and shape for different designs. Look in the second pic to see what ive done.

I've still got to do some sanding to get them ready for paint. And maybe later will get some proper blades and electronics for them.
Anyone got any thoughts of names for these two?
Hope you like them.

Silver Serpent
06-11-2012, 05:08 AM
It looks like you're off to a good start. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting electronics in those. There are some great tutorials here for adding electronics to PVC sabers. A little more shaping, and some paint, and you'll have two very nice sabers.

Noctan
06-11-2012, 05:26 AM
I know about the electronics, Im planning on following the tutorials.
Cheers for the comments. Any Thoughts on names?

Battle_1
06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Great saber. I love the design and all. what color LED will you use?
My suggestion on the name is Archeron

Noctan
06-27-2012, 03:00 AM
Cheers, I was going to do a purple blade for each and a matallic purple and silver for the hilt colour.
I like Archeron for the normal sized saber. Now have to find something for my "Lance", as ive dubbed it. Needs something more to add to that.