PDA

View Full Version : choosing batteries for best led performance

Shogun
06-05-2012, 09:41 PM
hi guys, i have a few quick questions! i have been reading a lot of information on saber building, my head is exploding with new information, haha.

however i have not been able to find any conclusive information on choosing batteries. what type of battery will allow the led to shine the brightest? Li-ion rechargeable? AAA? AA? advantages/disadvantages?
the led i plan on using is either a rebel deep red or rebel orange red for a sith look. i havent been able to find any comparison videos with those two colors though. any thoughts on which would look brightest and most color saturated to the eye? i need this thing bright.

I am making a double sided stunt saber for dueling and demonstration, and will be forgoing sound effects and flash on clash stuff, however i plan on adding those features at a later date. is there anything in my build i should make sure to do so i can modify later?

thank you for any input!

Vlad Doon
06-06-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi,

If you plan to add sound , space inside the hilt is a key point,another one is an easy dismounting and access to gut off the electronics.
The sound boards have their own specifications in terms of power. For a PC,a CF, or an obsdian, I'd say 2x14500 3.7v Li-ion is an optimum choice (7.4v). Go for pcb protected li-ion pack if you plan a recharge port. Li-ion are great but need more carefull use than alkalines
The configuration and the room inside your hilt usually determine which size of battery to use.
You don't have to worry if you choose a soundboard as it will feed the led in an optimum way, if not, a deep red or orange rebel star run around 2.4v, and are great at 700mA. You'll need a resistor but a buckpuck'll do it better IMO. You even have the possibility to overdrive your led (brighter), but in this case, do some research, there are masters in this craft in this forum

Silver Serpent
06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Space is always an issue, especially if you plan to add sound in the future. Li-ion batteries will give you the most efficient use of space while meeting the power requirements of our high-powered LEDs and other electronics.

Some LEDs can be overdriven, as Vlad stated. The warm color Rebels (red, red-orange, amber, deep red) should not be overdriven. They run best at 700mA. For overdrive-friendly red LEDs, you'll want to use the Seoul P4, or the LEDEngins. Be advised that the LEDEngins are not easy to solder for a novice. There is a great tutorial to help you with those, should you choose to go that route. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13703-LEDengin-5w-and-10W-info-and-wiring-guide-for-noobs

Shogun
06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
thanks! battery info helped immensely