PDA

View Full Version : Taking Luke ROTJ blade apart (not hilt)

willtyr
05-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum, but I'm not exactly new. Several years ago, 5 or 6 (wow) I bought parts to build an EL saber (before the LED stuff was available) -- but never finished the project. I actually still have all the parts, electronics and EL wire (if anyone is interested). This is all OT, though

I have a Luke ROTJ MR saber, and I'd like to take the blade apart. I've seen the dissembly tutorial thread (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?5728-05-MR-Luke-Done-amp-kits-available), but there's nothing about taking apart the blade once it's detached from the electronics (for most this would be unnecessary, but I'd like to do it). I wonder if everything at that point will just slide out, the diffuser sleeve and the LEDs, or if something else must be done. Perhaps someone has done this and has tips.

Thanks in advance. Looking to get back into this, I think

Jay-gon Jinn
05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
I believe everything should just slide out of the blade after you get it apart...I don't think there's anything holding it together like on some of the other models.

willtyr
05-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reply, Jay-gon Jinn. Will I need to pull the blade/electronics assembly through the bottom of the hilt (as in, slide the hilt up the length of the blade) to free up the blade assembly? And I'll need to go through all the steps as Lord Maul's tutorial indicates to get to the freed up blade? There's no faster way to get at the blade itself, even if I have no need to free up any other component?

Jay-gon Jinn
06-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I don't think there's an easier way to get at the blade itself, other than complete disassembly of the hilt, like in the tutorial. I've only done a conversion on one of these myself, but don't recall seeing much that would suggest you could remove the blade any other way.

thejedilestat
06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
well the only way to get the blade out is to take the saber apart and there are in my mine 2 ways to do it. 1 is just like the tutorial and 2 is just unscrew the boade holder (top of saber) and after you remove the blade holder everything should slide out of the front. i have a MRFX Luke ROTJ and the blade is easy to get apart and easy to work with but i have only swaped led strings not changed the leds on the strings.

when you take the saber apart just take your time and all will be well so good luck

willtyr
06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, either way, I haven't been able to remove the blade holder. Using a strap wrench, even after a half hour working at it, it still won't budge at all. Any tips? Alternative tools, perhaps?

cordaroyfog
06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
You can use a rubber mallet to try to break the glue but this can damage the emitter if precautions aren't taken. PB spray or another lube spray work after letting it sit for a while but this is messy and needs to be cleaned up. Those are the 2 methods I use.