PDA

View Full Version : drilling my own AV switch holes?

Amanita
05-26-2012, 12:17 PM
How hard is it to drill an AV switch hole into a hilt segment? Is it just a straight hole of the proper diameter, or is there anything else that needs doing? I'm working on a Katana styled hilt, and want to use a 9" extension as my hilt body, but it will need two holes for the AV switches. If it's just a matter of two plain holes, I can do that here at home and save the extra fee. But if there's anything more complicated involved, I may need to inquire about a custom piece.

(I do NOT want to use any kind of switchbox on this hilt- the darn things always get in my way, and wouldn't fit with the look I have planned, as this saber is for a non-SW cosplay)

Darth Nater
05-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Before you start, make sure of your location in case its close to threads on the inside. I did mine, and I just started with a small bit and changed bits progressively to make the hole larger. If you have one of those cone shaped step bits (kind of expensive), they do quite well. I didn't use a box either, just a bezel with the av switch. A vise would be helpful, though I'm pretty sure when I did mine, I just half assed it and held it on a table with my hand. Thats not the preferred way. Another thing, always a good idea to wrap a layer of masking tape around it first (that wide blue painters tape works pretty good) in case something slips it might provide a little protection from scratching up your hilt. Those switches require a much wider hole than you would think just looking at them. When I got done, I thought I'd gored a crater in the hilt.

Xanatos1986
05-26-2012, 04:35 PM
If you don't want a bezzel you will need a end mill bit or I will not sit flush

caz345
05-28-2012, 02:01 AM
Have tim do it for you because there is a slight counterbore for the edge of the switch to sit into.

dustunite
06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
unless you're planning on doing a lot of them just have it done. You'll spend more on drill bits.
sorry did'nt read the date on here