PDA

View Full Version : Dual-Blade Coupling

tlegower
05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
I am actually looking at just using a Male and Female PVC adapter to connect and disconnect the two hilts. However...since they are pipe threads, they are tapered to seal tighter the more you tighten them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to loose the threads, so I can connect and disconnect them easily?

Silver Serpent
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
If you want the two halves to come apart quickly and easily, I have one possible solution.

Get PVC pieces that slip together instead of thread together, then drill a hole through both pieces and insert a peg in the hole. Remove the peg when you want to separate the sabers. I've done this previously to make a quick-disassemble walking stick that fits in my suitcase while travelling.

Boj-Vaati Mau
05-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Has anyone tried Rare Earth Magnets? Demon Bunnyman & I were talking about this a few weeks ago too. As you can get them in large sizes and different draw weights, you might be able to get a set that's 1.25" diameter and 20 or 30 lbs. draw. Put one each in each pommel.... Only draw back is speaker location....

tlegower
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I thought about magnets, but also came to the conclusion about speaker placement. If they're that strong, I'm not sure how far away the speaker would need to be placed to not be effected.

DarkarNights
06-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Has anyone experimented with this idea yet?

ARKM
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Which idea? A saber-staff coupler or a specific way of making a saber staff coupler? If you mean a saber-staff coupler in general, I suggest you use the search feature of this forum. They have been made before and it has been discussed before, more than once.

tlegower
06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I went with a male female PVC adapters. I had to cut off the threaded male section, cut off a portion of the top (before the taper starts) and then put the male adapter back together, but it looks good and seems sturdy.

Sorry about the blurriness of the pictures

I then sanded it down and made it smoother.

tlegower
06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Has anyone tried Rare Earth Magnets? Demon Bunnyman & I were talking about this a few weeks ago too. As you can get them in large sizes and different draw weights, you might be able to get a set that's 1.25" diameter and 20 or 30 lbs. draw. Put one each in each pommel.... Only draw back is speaker location....

I talked to my dad who is an electrical engineer about this. He's not positive, but he doesn't think they'd interfere with the speakers at all or that much unless they were in physical contact. Plus after you mount the magnet in the pommel, you could potentially shield the other side to further reduce the chances. However, I did not try that approach...this time.

DarkarNights
06-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Which idea? A saber-staff coupler or a specific way of making a saber staff coupler? If you mean a saber-staff coupler in general, I suggest you use the search feature of this forum. They have been made before and it has been discussed before, more than once.

Sorry, I was specifically referring to the rare earth magnets coupler idea.

cardcollector
06-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Magnets and electricity don't mix. Magnets large enough to maintain a solid connection, would mess with the battery's flow of energy... making a possible battery failure or explosion.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Parks made magnetic couplers a few years back IIRC...but his sabers then were EL and had no sound so there were no speakers to interfere with.