PDA

View Full Version : here we go again!

jeed
05-19-2012, 02:27 PM
a few years ago, back when rlsa sabers was still around, i built my first dead simple saber. no sound, no complicated wiring, just a really cool looking blue flashlight. fast forward to the present, i'm now a few engineering degrees and an electronics career wiser. i also have access to a basic machine shop and a fully stocked electronics work bench.

and now, i want bells and whistles. i'm going with the ancient "there's no way this should be a working peice of equipment" theme.

so i've ordered some mhs parts and have a general idea of what i need. my only question for now, is where do you guys get your rumble motors? i'ce searched the forums to no avail. can somebody point me in a good direction?

Silver Serpent
05-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Scavenge one out of an old pager or cell phone. I can usually find someone with an old broken cell in a drawer somewhere.

brett
05-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Also E bay, but as Silver Serpent wisely mentions, scavenge one. They are tiny though, so don't miss it if you are opening up a phone to get one. Just remember they can set off your sound board with unwanted swings etc if mounted too close. And, with the new bass speakers reports are that they almost do the job of a rumble motor, even my normal CSS speaker vibrated my clear-plastic lined 'double male with slots' section so much it felt in itself like there was a rumble motor in the saber! Good luck on your build.

Zzan
05-21-2012, 01:35 PM
A well known Electronics store with the initials RS usually has some in a cabinet in the back along with their resistors, and stuff.

Don't get the big ones. You need a really small one. The bigger ones will set off the swing/clash sensors (smaller ones can too if you don't place them properly) The bigger ones just can't rumble softer :)

jeed
05-23-2012, 04:29 PM
thanks for the tips!

i generally avoid the shack like the plague, but went by today and picked up the 3vdc motor they had. i'll probably break out a power supply on my lunch hour tomorrow to play with the voltage settings a bit and get a feel for the rumble. that aside, it's time i started working on a paper parts list. to be continued...

Xanatos1986
05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
i got one in my starkiller its nice man.