PDA

View Full Version : First Saber: Darth Malgus

DarthGM
05-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Good Afternoon, TCSSers!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here, trying to get an handle on all this neat chicanery that is the Saber Building scene. For a long time now I’ve had a dream and a vision, and this has developed into a project and a goal.

I’m in the early stages of production for a Darth Maglus costume. I love the game (SWTOR), and I love this guy. Plus he’s bald, like me, and has a respirator that covers his mouth, so I don’t have to shave my van dyke.

Malgus’s lightsaber is something that I want to get right. It’s very unique, and very iconic. There are a few different ones out there; there’s the one that’s seen in the trailers to SWTOR, and then there’s the one in the game, and the one in the Sideshow Collectables Statue.

Here’s what I’ve got so far, as I'm leaning towards the simpler Sideshow Statue style

I want to make it out of MHS parts. It doesn’t need to be an exact match, but I am trying to get it close.

I’ve read the “So noob, you want to make a MHS” post at the top, but I’m trying to double check if I’m missing anything. The end product I’m looking for is a solid saber with no sound (for now, may add it later), a red-illuminated AV switch, and as deep a red and as bright a blade I can muster. I’d LIKE to use the AA-sized lithium ion rechargeable batteries I have, if possible (I believe they’re the 12.5 volt variety), but if a recharger hook-up is better I'll go with that.

The hilt-blades…guh, I’m not sure. Maybe have TCSS cut a 1” vent on each side, 90 degrees down from the switch, and cast a pair of blades out of high-impact plastic to slot into the hilt? That will be my problem, I think, and I’ll be happy to share my solution if I find one.

So, what do you suggest? What do you recommend?

Ty_Bomber
05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I might add some length. That bit is really going to be less than 10 inches so you may want to pop in a choke or an MHS blank extension and have Tim turn it down a bit for you so it is flush with the rest of the hilt. As far as the blades, see of you can contact Madcow at genesis custom sabers and get his input. he did a bladed sith saber and it was really nice.

pvcpo
05-18-2012, 08:54 PM
i have exactly what your building sitting in front of me right now- what i used for the blades is a 3/8 thick 3/8 flat pvc that you can get thru a plastics shop, it comes in many thicknesses, and whatever size sheet you need, its very easy to cut and shape- although it seems to have a better make up in the flat form as compared to pvc pipe, i drilled and tapped it to the hilt and also sunk the socket head screws so they wouldnt show, im going to have to start taking pics to post of these builds sometime, hope that helps.

Vlad Doon
05-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Totally agree with ty bomber, give it some extra length. The photo of hilt in Malgus' hand is too short.

Noctan
05-30-2012, 04:41 AM
I agree with Ty and Vlad, if you add MHS extension blank style 3 between the blade holder and the main body, it will add length and help to balance out the thickness of the pommel. It will also give you space to mount the blades to without interfering with the blade holder and the LED and heat sink.

Gucabe
08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
It's been a while since this thread was active, did you finish the Malgus saber? i'm making one too and would like to see how yours turned out.

DarthGM
12-06-2012, 12:38 PM
And another late reply; my bad. No, I never made the Malgus saber because Ultrasabers came out with The Malice, which hit all the points I wanted.

Instead I have my sights set on something else for my first custom saber. Something "Me."