PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help with Sink Pipe Sabers

tlegower
05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Hello,

Recently I started making sink pipe saber hilts just for decoration and gifts. I've made a few, but only 1 had any kind of LEDs and they were just accents. I'm looking to figure out how to add a blade (removable if possible) to one of the hilts and possibly sound effects.

My hilts use 1 1/2" sink pipes. What would I need to be able to attach a blade? I saw the MHS to 1.5" sink tube adapter, but wasn't sure that would be all I needed to add a blade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

These are the ones I've made so far. I figure because of how I constructed them, I might not be able to adapt these to add a blade...but figure I can build another like similar.

Silver Serpent
05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
The 1.5" sink tube adapter and your choice of any of the MHS blade holders will allow you to attach a blade.

You'll want a new style heat sink assembly and an LED plus electronics if you'd like it to illuminate. The modular wiring system (MWS) will allow you to quickly add components together without the need for a soldering iron.

If you've used rivets to hold your saber parts together (as I imagine you have), then it may take some work to reconfigure them for electronics.

My advice to you: read through the forums and especially the sticky posts. There's a ton of useful information here that will get you well on your way.

tlegower
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Thank you very much and I see from your signature that you have one very similar to one of mine.

tlegower
05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
For sound...is it possible to pull the innards of a Hasbro saber and put them into my homemade hilt?

Ty_Bomber
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Mmmhmm. We call them 'econo-boards' and you'll find some wiring diagrams on the forums. Good luck!

tlegower
05-17-2012, 06:56 AM
The saber I found and bought was one of the Hasbro Ultimate FX sabers...Luke's. It has the LED String for the blade and I haven't been able to find a wiring schematic for it yet on here, but I'll keep looking. I may go pick up a different saber and see if I have any luck finding schematics for the wiring in that saber.

Jordandau
05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Look a little closer, there is for sure a diagram for what you seek.

tlegower
05-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I figured it has to be here somewhere, but searching isn't helping. So I've been going thread by thread.

I also went out and got one of the lightsabers I could easily find the wiring schematics for. I'm not giving up on the first one I bought yet, but at least now I have something else to play with while taking breaks from my search.

Darth Nater
05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

This link is your friend for econo boards. Very long thread with almost any question you could think of answered somewhere within. Diagrams are on the first page. Quite popular since this is basically a $20 sound solution.

tlegower
05-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Thanks. I found that thread and that works great for the new boards I have. The original one I was looking for schematics to is this one (but I haven't found anymore about it yet):
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13266-New-Ultimate-FX-vs-standard-Hasbro-sound-comparison/page8&highlight=ultimate

Darth Nater
05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
I've never done one, but I think its a pretty similar concept to the others. Seems like it was buried towards the end of that other post, but might not have been. That thing was around 80 pages total.