PDA

View Full Version : Retracting blade

TechKnight
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Like many of you probably did, I started looking into building a saber when I saw some of my friends playing around with the cheap plastic toys and thought "I can do better than that". I've looked around the forum quite a bit but I haven't found any references to people trying to build sabers with true retractable blades. Has anyone tried to build a retracting/extending blade? How did it go?

TuxedoCartman
05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the best that's been done regarding retractable blades, is the system of using blades that consist of a chain of LED's linked in a ladder formation inside a polycarbonate tube. The electronics can be configured then so the blade lights up in a way that makes it look like its extending/ retracting.

As for a whole blade that extends and retracts? No, I'm 99.999% possible no one has figured out how to make one. Not only does physics make it unlikely, but we're a community of copycats and thieves (but in a good way! ^_^), so if anybody had figured out such a method, it would have spread like wildfire throughout the saber community.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-10-2012, 05:17 PM
It's pretty difficult to accomplish this and have a reasonably sized hilt, and a long (and reasonably straight) blade, and electronics, etc. etc. etc.

Kevin Starwaster
05-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I think the best that's been done regarding retractable blades, is the system of using blades that consist of a chain of LED's linked in a ladder formation inside a polycarbonate tube. The electronics can be configured then so the blade lights up in a way that makes it look like its extending/ retracting.

As for a whole blade that extends and retracts? No, I'm 99.999% possible no one has figured out how to make one. Not only does physics make it unlikely, but we're a community of copycats and thieves (but in a good way! ^_^), so if anybody had figured out such a method, it would have spread like wildfire throughout the saber community.

Physics doesn't make it unlikely or impossible. It could be accomplished with inflatable tubes or extensible/retractable rods such as has been used in retractable radio antennas for cars. Now, if you were to say that you couldn't do that AND have room for sound/light electronics that would be another matter entirely, but the concept itself is doable.

TuxedoCartman
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Physics doesn't make it unlikely or impossible. It could be accomplished with inflatable tubes or extensible/retractable rods such as has been used in retractable radio antennas for cars. Now, if you were to say that you couldn't do that AND have room for sound/light electronics that would be another matter entirely, but the concept itself is doable.

Mm, sorry... was jumping ahead a few steps in my head, and expecting everyone to be on the same page as me. Here's why I thought physics wouldn't allow it...

A quality saber has to have uniform light distribution, an evenly lit blade. But to develop a telescoping mechanism, that's going to obstruct and refract the light; it's unavoidable. I mean, sure it can be done: Hasbro's been doing it for 35 years. But have you seen a telescoping saber that doesn't look like you should be directing traffic?

So if uniform light distribution is a non-negotiable feature (I assume it is, but others may disagree), then that means your blade has to be of a solid, uniformly constructed material. You could try retracting it as one piece down into the hilt, but you run into the limitations of that blade having nowhere to go (physics again).

But then again, I never took physics in school; my math requirement was satisfied with a geometry class. So if someone wants to step forward and develop a collapsible blade that retains the light distribution qualities we're all used to, just to be able to say, "God, TuxedoCartman...you're such a NOOB!!!"... then I shall wear the mantle of Newb, and award you +10 internets! :D

the Director
05-11-2012, 05:47 AM
This is another one of those "how do I make a black blade" thread. A blade that retracts into a hilt just cant happen. Not unless you want it to look like a toy. One, the hilt is only on average 12 inchs long. So, to have a one piece blade, it can only be as long as the hilt. If you make a telescoping blade, well, it will look like a $20 Hasbro blade. Sure you could make a telescoping blade out of higher quality materials, but you will still have a segmented blade that will look cheap.

The other thing people forget about is if the blade slides into the hilt, what are you going to do with all the wires that go from the board and batteries to the hilts surface (switches)? The blade would have to slide past them or cut them in half.

Sadly, this is another aspect of the movie magic not really being able to be copied in the real world.

TechKnight
05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Has anyone tried building a telescoping blade with higher quality parts? If it's been tried and still looks like a cheap toy I can accept that.

Obviously I have yet to build a lightsaber so I don't know all the parts that need to fit into the hilt. I'm still at the design phase. If I come up with a design that works, I'll certainly share it.

psab keel
05-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Back the early days of LED saber building (I sound like an old man saying that, hahaha) the godfather of this whole tech being used in lightsaber props, Pippmaster, tried building this very thing in 2001. His original concept was to build a segmented polycarbonate blade with small clusters of 5mm or 3mm LED's that would illuminate it. It would be sectioned off in a way that would eliminate the prominent rings made from the blade being segmented, though how he achieved this I don't know for sure. It never panned out, though he never fully revealed all of his work as he wanted to perfect it before he released his ideas to anyone. Back in those days the tech was so new that everyone collaborated together as a tight knit group because the more we did the further we all gained momentum toward the goal. Now that's not to say that this doesn't still happen, but I think as the hobby has grown, people have been more cautious, and rightly so, to release information regarding huge advancements in the tech because now there are people who make their living this way and have to keep their developments close to the chest until released, but anyway...

As far as I understand, he was the original designer of the LED ladder or string blade design that was ultimately used by Master Replicas. He was also one of the first to use a single high power Luxeon LED to illuminate a saber blade. Sadly I don't know what happened to him or his work as he left the hobby many years ago. I would suggest experimenting and seeing what you can come up with. One of the things I can say is that it would be really refreshing to us older members to see a newcomer actually experiment and post results rather than just theorize as many do. Try some ideas out and let us know what you come up with and share your results with us. : )

Rash
05-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Maybe not with a lightsaber, but possibly someone could build a light staff? Just make a regular blade that shoots out the staff with all the components in the very bottom?

TechKnight
05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone! It's really helpful to get an idea of what some of the challenges with a good looking telescoping saber are. I haven't given up on the idea yet, but given all of this I'm thinking I should set the telescoping saber idea aside for my second build and do a more traditional build to get a better handle of the complexity involved.

Besides, I'd like an ROTJ Luke anyway and there's no way to get a telescoping blade down that narrow neck. :)

psab keel
05-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Ain't that the truth! haha

Schmendrick
11-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Back the early days of LED saber building (I sound like an old man saying that, hahaha) the godfather of this whole tech being used in lightsaber props, Pippmaster, tried building this very thing in 2001. His original concept was to build a segmented polycarbonate blade with small clusters of 5mm or 3mm LED's that would illuminate it. It would be sectioned off in a way that would eliminate the prominent rings made from the blade being segmented, though how he achieved this I don't know for sure. It never panned out, though he never fully revealed all of his work as he wanted to perfect it before he released his ideas to anyone. Back in those days the tech was so new that everyone collaborated together as a tight knit group because the more we did the further we all gained momentum toward the goal. Now that's not to say that this doesn't still happen, but I think as the hobby has grown, people have been more cautious, and rightly so, to release information regarding huge advancements in the tech because now there are people who make their living this way and have to keep their developments close to the chest until released, but anyway...

As far as I understand, he was the original designer of the LED ladder or string blade design that was ultimately used by Master Replicas. He was also one of the first to use a single high power Luxeon LED to illuminate a saber blade. Sadly I don't know what happened to him or his work as he left the hobby many years ago. I would suggest experimenting and seeing what you can come up with. One of the things I can say is that it would be really refreshing to us older members to see a newcomer actually experiment and post results rather than just theorize as many do. Try some ideas out and let us know what you come up with and share your results with us. : )

Bump. I happened along this thread by chance as, ironically, I was trying to find current contact info for Pippmaster.

I knew his work included solutions to obscuring the "rings," the connection points between the polycarbonate segments and achieving an even luminescence throughout the length of the blade, but had issues with the automation of the extend/retract function.

I believe I may have solved that issue, and am attempting to construct a prototype now.

I am certain I will also run into the issue with the "rings," and hoped if I shared my technical findings with Pippmaster, he might share his lighting findings with me.

One can only hope, hm?

I know this is ridiculous to ask, but can't hurt: anyone have any clue how to contact him nowadays? I found an old message board where he posted *some* of his findings (mostly non-specific) in 2002. I tried sending him a message through that, but doubt he checks an account he stopped posting to over 4 years ago.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

madmaxx
11-21-2012, 08:12 AM
I like the staff idea.... with a spring mounted extension of some kind you could simulate a nice effect.. might be something someone may have a go at

QueenTitan
11-23-2012, 03:06 AM
See what happened was.... Pippmaster stumbled apon a way to make a fully functional lightsaber and has been contracted to lucasfilm... Excuse me... Disney. they are hiding him in a secret lab until he can perfect it... Lol. I wish! :p