PDA

View Full Version : I'm building a lightsaber....no really I'm not kidding

Draygo
05-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Hello All,

I introduced myself recently and the discussion turned to the strange reactions I got when I said "I'm building a lightsaber". We had a few examples that were kind of entertaining so I thought I would open this up as a discussion. If anyone has some entertaining stories to tell about how people react when you tell them about this hobby, I would love to here them.

Recently, I was told I am such a dork....by one of my dorky friends. Have I achieved a new level of Dorkyness? Am I over 9000 yet?

"Post inspired by brett" :)

Arryck Corso
05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Only Goku is over 9000!

Silver Serpent
05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
For me, I get one of two different responses when I tell people I build lightsabers as a hobby. It's either, "What, like a REAL one? Does it cut stuff?" or else it's "Cool! How much would it be for you to build me one too? ...oh. Nevermind."

Xanatos1986
05-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I second SS response lol

the Director
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Most people don't realize these toys of ours exist. When you tell someone your "building a lightsaber" they only think of what they saw in the movies, a lazer sword that can cut thru anything. Diehard SW fans will probably know what your talking about. Regular fans, not so much. I tell people I build "replica lightsabers". This stops the automatic "is it real, can it cut..." questions. I ten explain, briefly, what these toys of ours are used for, what's available, etc. I also give price examples so no one is too surprised.

Jhadious Aran
05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
haha i get the same responses as SS usually. my other favorite ones are when you're telling someone who is very interested and the random people that are around listening in on the conversation just kind of look at you like you're crazy.

madmaxx
05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Same reponses here...and i just love the totally unrelated jabs at you whenever your friends or workmates are poking fun at you....'You could cut it with your lasersword haha' or 'watch it, he will cut you with his lightsaber haahaa' etc etc etc....it could be worse though..everyone could be making them

Evilpancreas
05-08-2012, 04:19 PM
A few of my friends thought it was a cool idea. On the other hand, the majority of people call me a dork

TuxedoCartman
05-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Recently, I was told I am such a dork....by one of my dorky friends. Have I achieved a new level of Dorkyness? Am I over 9000 yet?

Actually, you weren't quite there yet. Then you made a Dragonball Z reference in an online forum devoted to Star Wars props, and that's what nudged you past 9000. Congratulations! :D

Most of the people I've told about my saber-building are as big of geeks as I am; so I just got confused, uncertain looks, followed by squeals of joy when they actually saw the finished product. Despite what they may say, 99% of people under the age of 45 are geeks nowadays. Some of us are just more open about it! :)

madmaxx
05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
That is true cartman...everyone wants to play with them when they see them.....even the people that had the biggest laughs at you get that look on their face like they almost remember having an imagination lol

captain_mills
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I texted a friend this last week to tell them "May the 4th be with you..."

The reply said, "dork :)"

So, madmaxx, I'd say you are among friends! :)

psab keel
05-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Interesting topic that doesn't come up very often. Usually I get a strange facial expression thrown my way when saber building comes up. People ask a little about it and either tease me, or just say that's cool and let it be. They must think that my costumes and lightsabers/ props are just the work of some dork. But it amuses me when those that tease me react like excited kids when they actually see some of my work in person. Seeing is believing.

TuxedoCartman
05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I know what you mean, psab. For those of us who've browsed the gallery on this site, or spent time over at some of the other enthusiast sites looking at high-end, crystal-chambered, accent-LED'd out the wahoo, one-off customs... it's easy to forget that although nearly everyone in America likes the Star Wars movies, very very few of them have seen even so much as a Master Replicas/ Hasbro FX Saber.

Heck, I remember the first time I saw one of those, and thought it was indistinguishable from the sabers as seen in the movies, and if I hit something with it my brain would fully expect that thing to be cut in half. Now, I look at those same sabers and they seem like toys by comparison. So I imagine that when we tell our friends and co-workers that we're "building a lighsaber", they think we're painting dowel rods red and sticking them in cardboard tubes, or putting colored filters and fancy greeblies on flashlights. The only basis of comparison they have are the crappy plastic Hasbro sabers we had as kids (with the cheesy extendable blades), or at best the FX Sabers; so I don't hold it against them for thinking us dorks one minute, and wetting themselves in delight the next. Just makes me feel that much cooler for introducing them to the hobby! :D

Draygo
05-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Well put Tuxedo and an aspect I never thought of. They don't realize the planning and work that go into even a simple saber let alone a Yoda Masterpiece. We may have a "dorky" hobby but the actual work put into them is definitely "mature". Physics, Electronics, Machining. When they see the final product and that it's not a "toy" we get the respect back. At least I hope it works that way :)

I brought the empty hilt to work to show it off to the people I talked about it with. One person held it and I had to laugh at the look on his face. He said,"It makes you feel so powerful"

directorcass
05-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Took my Magister back into work today. A co-worker, we will call him "Andy" is a big Star Trek fan. I showed him the saber, as I usually do with props I build. I explained what the saber was, an MHS based saber, and what the Igniter R2 soundboard can do. I pulled the kill key and the Father/Son Font loaded. He started jumping up and down, laughing hysterically. He was that excited to hear the saber. I then cycled thru all nine sound fonts and blade colors. He was very impressed!

brett
05-10-2012, 05:01 AM
It seems the general consensus is 'seeing is believing'.
Saying 'saber' and showing a saber are obviously worlds apart. And as far as the build quality of Tims shop is concerned, 'Wow', is appropriate. Even knowing what to expect it was pretty amazing the first time I screwed together my first CSS pieces. Imagine someone seeing, and holding, one of these fully built, with no prior knowledge of their origins!

Draygo
05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
So today I put our theory to the test....it turned into an, "Oh my turn!" then a photoshoot. I sat back and loved every minute of their giddiness. I have to admit that aspect of the hobby is almost as much fun as swinging it around it your living room lmao

Archangel_Gregory
05-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Okay Guys n Gals,
I am new and you should see more of me soon. I've been Lurking and Reading. I've purchased and built one saber and have another in the works. Tim told me to check the forums and I'll tell you what I learned in the Forums, I didnt even know the questions! Answers are still comming. Fell into this string and thought I might add some. For a "Geek" I don't look the part. My friends all like the saber I've built and want to know how to get/build thier own. The one detrimental comment that comes up is the resemblence to a female oriented *** toy. They think they're funny. While assembling the guts I did have to go look for maleable wire. The woman at radio shack was impressed (got the TCSS website), wire very stiff. Went to FRY'S here in San Diego (Big Computer Store). Friends that work there VERY IMPRESSED! Salespeople I was asking directions for, "What is that?" My Reply "You work in a computer store, you're a geek, you KNOW what it is." EVERYONE LOVED IT!!! I don't know how many people have purchased from Tim but I know at lease two dozen people asked the website and about 10 have shown me pictures of hilts they designed in the MHS. Yes, while getting the wires (radio shack had the best) I took the empty hilt with me. It was the Scepter of a Geek (Dork) GOD!!! Even my 17yo son thought it was cool. Average comment now "Man... that thing is cool... but it still looks kinda like a @***@." :cool:
Grey

norlemann123
05-22-2012, 04:59 AM
"You work in a computer store, you're a geek, you KNOW what it is."

hahahaha, PRICELESS!

e13azar
10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
im in the Army.
the other day i asked my Master seargent if i could take a old broken computer cable home with me. (to strip down and use the wires)
his response was why?
and so i told him about building Lightsabers.
and he said its better then going out and getting drunk and doing drugs.
LOL