PDA

View Full Version : First Stunt Saber - Am I forgetting anything?

Harbinger
05-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Decided to take the plunge into yet another expensive hobby. Thought that I would start really simple (or as simple as this seems to get)

I think that I covered all the bases:

Hilt style 1 with guarded style switch hole
MPS Pommel style 3 v2
Screw on LED blade holder style 24
MHP Clip
Insert Style 4
Drill & Tap service, for blade holder 8-32
Blade Retaining screw 8-32 x 3/8" Set Screw

LED "TCSS style" Battle blade 1" OD 34"

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module - royal blue
MWS Battery pack - 4AAA Battery Holder with JST connector
Switch - 16mm Anti Vandal Latching Amber Ring Switch
Switch Box - Activation Box Style 6
Box 6 Mounting holes service
2 x 6-32 socket Head Cap Screw

Resistor for anti-vandal switch 220ohm 1/4watt

Darth Nater
05-05-2012, 05:43 PM
You'll need a resistor for your main LED. Probably a good idea to pick up some 28ga wire while you're ordering too. At $.25 a foot, thats basically a dollar for 2ft of red and black which you won't use all of, and it keeps you from burning gas going to a store to find it in that gauge. Also, get an extra JST connector or two since your anti vandal switch won't have one. You're going to need a male or female end to connect to your battery holder, as well as to connect to your LED module

Harbinger
05-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks - lots to learn.

Harbinger
05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Trying to figure out which resistor I need for the royal blue rebel star. When I look in the wiring diagrams it gives me different resistors depending whether it is a luxeon II or III? How can I tell which one will come with the module?

TuxedoCartman
05-07-2012, 01:39 AM
The Rebel Star's aren't listed in the resistor chart, sadly. The Luxeon II and III were its predecessors. But if you're using the 4-AAA battery pack, then that's 1.5 volts x 4 = 6 volts total. The store's LED chart page shows the Royal Blue Luzeon Rebel LED has a forward voltage of 3 volt.
Next, go here. (http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz) It's an online resistor calculator. If you plug 6 into the source voltage (from the batteries), 3 into the diode forward voltage (for the Rebel Star LED), and 1000 for the diode forward current (blue and green Rebels and P4's can be run at this range pretty safely), then you get...

3.3 ohms, 3.3 watt. That's what the calculator tells you is ideal, but you can round that down to a 3 watt just fine.

Harbinger
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks - still trying to re-learn the basics of electronics. High school science class was a long time ago!

TuxedoCartman
05-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks - still trying to re-learn the basics of electronics. High school science class was a long time ago!

LOL... amen to that! But with age comes wisdom and patience, right? :)