PDA

View Full Version : Obvious, not so obvious question.

KastenTedeki
05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Soo.. According to the whole.. "Hey, nub, read this to build" thread, I need this part

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Rebel-Star-LED-MHS-Heatsink-Module-P653.aspx

Which is the Rebel Star LED Heat sink thing... And one other thing that no longer links correctly. SO!! What about this (I think it's new?) part.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Build-Your-Own-Seoul-P4-Electronics-Kit-P469.aspx

Which is.. Well, is the electronics kit. =\ Would the LED in it be good enough without the Rebel Star if I'm getting a blade holder with a heat sink? @.@

And another question about the electronics kit to get it all in one part; It never actually SAYS what tools you need.. Or if it even comes with instructions (Which I hope to the Force it does. @.@ Though even if it doesn't, it wouldn't be that big of a detriment.) and can you replace the switch with

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MWS-Guarded-Style-Latching-Switches-P753.aspx

That (The guarded style latch switch) with little to no trouble? And if not, then how well does the latch switch on the electronic kit hold up?

My current set up is all of the above (Currently. @.@ Hoping to get rid of the rebel star if I don't need it with the electronics kit for less price.) with Screw on LED holder 13 with HeatSink, hilt style 1 with guarded switch hole, MPS clip, MPS pommel style 4, and the MPS pommel style 4, if that helps any.. Or if anything in there doesn't actually.. Go together some how. Lol. And any information if I'm missing anything to make it all work.

Anyway, any help would be most appreciated.

TuxedoCartman
05-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Wow, where to begin... First of all, welcome to the forum.

The electronics kit that you link to isn't new; in fact, I think it's one of the older parts on here (I say, having been on this forum for only a few months myself). The Rebel Star LED heat sink module is part of the Modular Wiring System (MWS), that allow you to pretty much just plug things together, and ta-da... working saber, whereas the electronics kit is for somebody who has no problem soldering things on their own. The Rebel Star Module does come with a heat sink, because it's already assembled, soldered, and wired up to a JST plug. And you're right, if you get the electronics kit you have to get the heat sink either separately or with the blade holder.

As for assembly of the electronics kit, it's all outlined here. (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?326-MHS-LED-kit-tutorial-(Resistor-variant)) Nothing you buy from the store will come with instruction manuals. See, this is more of a do-it-yourself community, where people are expected to work out builds pretty well on their own (and where you will be expected to read a lot, because 99.999% of anything you need to know about building a saber, no matter how simple or fancy, has been covered somewhere in these forums). It just so happens that over time the owner of TCSS has worked to make the products more approachable by those of us without advanced machining or electronics skills; hence the MWS, Rebel Star Modules, powdercoating and hole-tapping services, etc... Just last month he began offering mid-range soundboards pre-wired, so you can even have sound now without having to do much soldering.

As for replacing the switch in the electronics kit with a guarded style: yes, it's physically possible. Would the store be willing to do switch it out as part of the kit package sale? That you'd have to ask them about.

Silver Serpent
05-03-2012, 05:37 AM
The Rebel Star and the Seoul P4 LEDs are comparable to each other. Depending on the color you choose and a couple other factors, one may be a little bit better than the other. I usually order whichever one happens to be in stock for the color I want.

You can order the preassembled Rebel LED module, or a preassembled Seoul module. (They come in both flavors now!) If you get the preassembled module, the only other electronics you'll need are a battery pack, switch, resistor (or buckpuck, driver, etc), and some wire. If you look at the LED module page in the store, it lists all the items used in its construction: New Style MHS Heatsink, Rebel Star LED, Rebels Star lens holder, 8.7 Deg Optics, Thermal tape pad, JST male connector.

If you want the fun of putting everything together yourself, just buy the parts separately. You'll save a couple bucks as well if you do it yourself. You'll need a soldering iron, some solder (I prefer 60/40 leaded solder), heatshrink tubing, SAFETY GLASSES, and some patience. Installing the MPS clip in the pommel requires a pair of snap-ring pliers and SAFETY GLASSES. I've seen one of those clips slip before I got it seated and it launched itself across the room.

Keep on reading, there's a wealth of information here that will answer all the questions you have, and a bunch that you haven't thought to ask yet. Good luck with your build!

KastenTedeki
05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Alright. Thanks for the replies. I figured that it didn't come with any type of directional information but also thought it might just be a stock from some where. xD Ended up just deciding on the electronics kit (Wow.. @.@ 18 dollars for a green LED and basic construction compared to just the $20 LED.) And decided to get the SPST latching guarded switch (Which if I'm not mistaken.. o.O Is the exact same as the MWS part?)

-------
Edit update? So I just bought the parts... Problem is.. o.O I'm not sure it went through. The page supposed to refresh to something different once it sends, yes? Wondering if it lagged out on me or something.. @.@ Under my account is shows that no orders have been placed either. Though I'm not sure if that's for shipment sends or just regular buys. =\ Any help for this phenomenon would be appreciated so I don't hit buy again and end up getting two. XD Thanks.

-------
Aaand it's fixed. X.x Turned out it did lag out on me. But yes! DX Hopefully by next week it should be here.. And by two weeks after that through trial and error, I should be buying more parts for added customization! Wooh!