PDA

View Full Version : Grips and Adhesive advice

whitmers
05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I have some ideas in my head about adding some grips to the inside of the hilt groves down by the base of the hilt. I don't really want to use any of the t grips like I saw in tcss, I really want something with a rounded edge, kinda like what you would get if you cut an o-ring in half. Though I have learned that a cut in half o-ring didn't work well for me...possibly because of the curvature on the ring. I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on what to use or the best adhesive? I tried using lock tite and met with some failure.

Xanatos1986
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
a picture of where its going and your materials might help, but I know impact resistant gorilla glue works great.

Silver Serpent
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Grip-style-1-P556.aspx has a rounded edge like you describe. You'll either need to trim off the base and find a good adhesive (maybe Gorilla Glue) or else get the slots milled in your hilt for installation. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Milled-cutouts-for-grip-style-1-P555.aspx

You don't specify which hilt you have, or which grooved piece you have. That might be helpful for us to give more advice.

Kevin Starwaster
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Bluemagic Pure Rubber Coating... I used that on mine, but from what you're describing that might not be what you're looking for as I sprayed it all the way around the parts of the hilt that I wanted to have a grip. That was a ribbed/grooved extension. If you want yours in strips it might be harder to get it to adhere to the aluminum unless you use some self etching aluminum primer.

whitmers
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
the part that I am trying to stick is a modification on an ultrasabers prophecy, the hilt is similar to the fluted hilts available on tcss. I want a rounded grip to fit into the fluted section for increased grip. I'm pretty much looking for grip and adherence ideas.

FenderBender
05-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Look for automotive trim molding. It is available in many different sizes and a lot of it is rounded. Failing that, I often buy o-ring cord stock, which is also available in many different sizes and colors, and use 3M automotive weatherstrip adhesive to affix it to the hilt.

whitmers
05-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Ooh, that sounds like a great Idea. Would you just find that in an autoparts strore?

Darth Odious
05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
^That stuff fender mentioned

Walmart has body molding kits, I think the only size they carry is 1/2 inch though, but it comes with a roll of the 3m double sided tape. You can pull off the "chrome" on it for regular black rubber, and it cuts easy enough.