PDA

View Full Version : Full parts list for 3 sabers? (Newbie)

Morningstar
04-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Hello,
So am totally new to this whole building your own saber thing. In fact I'm not the biggest star wars fan (don't hate me!) I am making a set for my bf and I. He LOVES star wars, and I thought it would be a fun thing to have a set we can fight with for our anniversary. My dad is willing to help as long as he gets one too, and we are trying to keep this hush hush from the bf.

So here is my list of parts for 3 basic lightsabers. Do i have everything i need? In the right size?? Thanks so much!!

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/ViewWishlist.aspx?WishlistId=24360

TuxedoCartman
04-22-2012, 10:12 PM
It looks to me like you've got everything. Just a heads up, though: you'll either have to drill and tap the hole for the blade retention screw yourself, on the blade holders, or you can get the store to do it for you.

Bit of advice about your blades, too (and this is just personal opinion): the quad wrap Corbin blade is going to get quite dim towards the end using the Rebel Star and colored discs combination, if it lights up all the way at all. I'd go with no more than a double wrap, and look for some clear gift wrap to put inside. That'll even the color out on the blade, and make the end much less dim.

Kai Sabol: Jedi Knight
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
You only need 2 mps clips and inserts, and you'll have to get 1 inch hilt plugs, not 3/4 inch. Other than that, you're golden.

Elodin
04-23-2012, 12:39 AM
If you're planning to use them to duel with, I'd suggest going with the thicker 'battle blade' styles, otherwise you might find the blade breaks. Rather than using the filters (for the reason TuxedoCartman points out), I'd choose one, colour LED for each saber.

TuxedoCartman
04-23-2012, 03:16 AM
@Kai Sabol: <smacks forehead> Nice catch! Didn't even think about one of the pommels being a cone-shape.

I have to agree with Elodin regarding the thicker battle-blade style. There's barely any noticeable visual difference between the thin "show-blade" and the thicker "battle-blade", but a lot of difference in how well the thicker blade holds up. If these are mostly for fighting, it'd be a good idea. However, I will have to disagree with him on the colored discs. True, a pure red, green, or blue LED will look brighter and more pure if you use an LED in that color, but others like the purple and cyan can look spectacular using the discs.

Also, I'm assuming you went that route because you wanted him to be able to select what color he wanted after he receives it? Pretty smart way of doing things then, IMO. Can swap them around and see what he likes. Worst case scenario, he wants a blue or red, and doesn't like how the filters look? Then you can order just a red LED module, and swap it out. That's the great thing about the MHS system, is how modular it is. Best case scenario is that he wants a blue identical to Luke's in the first Star Wars, then that's best accomplished using the colored discs (well... for that level, anyway).

Xanatos1986
04-23-2012, 08:52 AM
if your using a white rebel, and a double wrap, and discs... your ok, I have a rebel white and use discs and they are awesome, and bright, mine lights up even and with 2 discs at once its still bright.

Morningstar
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks Guys!!

I am updating the list as I write.
The reason I went with white and the colored disks is so he could choose and/or change his color. They also seem to offer a wider range of color choices. I can get kinda girly in that aspect (i want mine to compliment his, lol) so having a choice is awesome. Besides. It is modular, so If/when we decide to go with a colored LED it won't be to hard to change out.

As for the blade, I am thinking for now of forgoing it, as i will be presenting these to him at a convention and I don't really want to lug the blades to the hotel. Do you think he'll be upset if there is no blade right then and there? (I would hope not, but... well, fans and fandoms and whatnot) Would you be upset??

TuxedoCartman
04-23-2012, 11:50 PM
As for the blade, I am thinking for now of forgoing it, as i will be presenting these to him at a convention and I don't really want to lug the blades to the hotel. Do you think he'll be upset if there is no blade right then and there? (I would hope not, but... well, fans and fandoms and whatnot) Would you be upset??

Speaking personally?... yes. ^_^

In 99% of sabers built, the "Ooooh...." factor us fans have for them comes from the lit-up blades. Without them, most lightsabers resemble nothing more than over-fancified mag-lights. (In case you're curious about the other 1%, do a search for "Arod Megil"). So while I sympathize with you over the awkwardness of transporting the blades (as does everybody here who cosplays or troops), my vote is for bringing it along to present to him. If not to the convention itself, at least to the hotel then. Speaking as a fan, it's what I would want.

Xanatos1986
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I agree get the blade for him :)

Ty_Bomber
04-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, even if he knows there is a saber in there, he won't know it's a custom made, just for him. Get the blade. Put them in a cardboard tube and tell him they're posters for him you need signed before you give them to him. Make a discreet exit, mosey at the con, then come back and have him open em, just to throw him off track.

Morningstar
04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Lol, Ok Getting the blade too!
Ty Bomber, i like your idea thanks!