PDA

View Full Version : Hiding gaps

Jenner
04-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I've seen a few sabers on here, one of which appears to be FenderBender's Ultima for example, which seems to have a sheathed part over a MHS part and then immediately hits a choke peice. My question is how do you minimize the edge-gap between the two parts? On the Ultima for example, it either looks filled in or so fine I can't tell from the pictures there's one there.

Also in general, how to you "attach" a sheathed piece to a core piece when there are no screws between the two? Glue? JBWeld?

I whipped up a quick picture of the gap question to help clarify it:

Thanks much!

Silver Serpent
04-10-2012, 10:26 AM
The MHS sleeve material fits very snugly over MHS parts. There is no noticeable gap that I've seen. In the event that you've sanded or polished a piece enough that you get a noticeable gap, you can fill it with epoxy or a light coating of paint.

Attaching the sleeve material can be done with epoxy. If you have the patience and the tools to do so, you can also use a hidden set screw from the inside of the MHS piece and have it press on the sleeve material that way.

Jenner
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Awesome! Thanks for all the help! I think I got enough base info to solidify everything I want to do in this project of mine. I'm an engineer and consider myself a decent machinist so I may be taking on a bigger first saber project than most newbies; the hardest part has been just trying to figure out how everything stacks together in the big picture and how to do some of the things I want to do that I see in some of the better sabers I've browsed. :)

Thanks again!