PDA

View Full Version : Which MR/Hasbro Conversion is the easiest to do?

townfries
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi guys, looking to get my first saber here. I want to do a lux conversion and I have looked at some guides here and they require soldering. I don't have any soldering equipment or any experience with it whatsoever so I think my best bet is to buy a saber which doesn't require soldering if possible.

Thanks!

cannibal869
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
to my knowledge, ANY MR/Hasbro conversion is going to require soldering of some sort... unless you can get someone to do it for you (or buy one pre-converted), it's not going to be easy for you.

-C

Knight_Stgar
04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and probably am heh) but I dont think your going to be able to do any of the conversions/builds without at least SOME soldering.

*edit: Cannibal beat me to the punch!

townfries
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Perhaps I should start learning

cannibal869
04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
well, I started with a $10 radioshack soldering iron and some really thin diameter solder. There are a bunch of tutorials here to help you. If you do decide to tackle it yourself, try to find a conversion tutorial to copy - most of them have pretty good pics that will guide you along. Good luck!

townfries
04-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Cool, didn't know that soldering is cheap. ty :D

Silver Serpent
04-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Soldering isn't hard to do, it just takes a little bit of practice. I recommend watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnGUMi7lQ and then getting an inexpensive soldering iron and some 60/40 solder, then practice on scrap wire until you're comfortable.

Lead-free solder is NOT friendly to use when you're learning. Use the leaded stuff. You'll thank us later.

TuxedoCartman
04-03-2012, 07:18 AM
In addition to what Silver Serpent recommended, I found this site to be useful on brushing up on my soldering skills:
http://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm

A lot of components are dirt cheap too. Pick up a blank circuit board, a handful of resistors and some wire, and just practice soldering things to it.

Zzan
04-03-2012, 07:33 AM
In my opinion it would be easier to build an entire MHS hilt from scratch than it would to do a conversion. For just a basic hilt that lights up there is minimal soldering and not much that would break/get ruined by sub-par soldering skills.

If you want sound and all the bells and whistles then I would say, soldering isn't hard, don't let your fear of that be a reason to not do this. Just practice on a cheap board from Radio Shack, or scrap boards until you are comfortable. You can do it, I promise, just take your time and learn the techniques from the video links provided above. You will find that the more you do it the easier it becomes.