View Full Version : Glueing to PC

04-02-2012, 06:56 AM
I want to glue some rubber grips to a wet black powder coating. Any predicted problems with it and any particular glues to use or avoid?

My backup is to forego the PC and use aluminum black.

04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
How roughly will these grips be treated? If you're making something to put on your mantle and look pretty, with just occasional play, you might be able to get by with rubber cement or some other mild silicone-type glue. If you're planning on dueling with this one every weekend, you may need to rough up the powder coating where the grips will be, and use something stronger (but not too strong, as some epoxies could actually melt your rubber grips).

Also, FYI... when I saw your thread title, I thought you were someone who'd failed at soldering, and was resorting to drastic measures to connect leads to a Petit Crouton soundboard. :D

04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I crossed my fingers and hoped having it in the powder coat section would help. ;)

This is definitely for dueling. On my last graflex saber I used the recommended Liquid Nails product only to have the grips come off. In desperation, I used Gorilla Glue and it seems to have done the trick but that was a bare graflex. I don't want to pay for powder coating then screw it up.

04-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Powder coating's pretty tough stuff. Use the Gorilla Glue. Either it'll work, or it won't... but I seriously doubt it will harm the coating. Keep in mind, car customizers use powder coating for engine parts and brake calipers, because it's so durable and stain resistant. If the glue doesn't work, it'll probably just slough off, and you can try something else.

Kevin Starwaster
04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Another suggestion: it sounds like the PCing hasn't been done? Maybe consider masking off the areas you want to glue to. If you're having this done by Tim, send him a message using the store contact link to arrange it with him and to make sure it's feasible. Or perhaps you could select something like a fluted section which does have options for masking the fluted areas and then attach your grips there. (with the caveat that they are rounded and slightly recessed)