PDA

View Full Version : Want to build my own Hilt

djshadowz8801
03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
so i'm a big time fan of starwars, and have been looking into this for awhile, i was hoping to build my own hilt, using one of the designs from big yellow box, ((here is link http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/plans08/main.htm )) now for a first time beginner is this not recommended? i belive this lightsaber is built for the specifications to be used with some sort of photoediting program, i'm just wondering what parts would i have to swap out, and get for it to be used with a blade for an led setup.

Silver Serpent
03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Ahh, BYB. I've still got a pile of footman's loops I ordered for that design.

You'll need an adapter http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-to-15-sink-tube-adapter-P162.aspx and your choice of bladeholders from the store here, plus electronics to change that out for an LED blade. The design may need to be tweaked some, to allow for all the parts to fit together, but it is certainly possible.

If you're not familiar with the electronics used in LED sabers, be sure to read all the sticky posts in the forums. Then keep reading, there is a TON of information here that you will find useful. Good luck with your build!

djshadowz8801
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
ok so pretty much though all i need is that one adapter peice, the polytube for the blade, and a blade holder, could i pick up a peice that screws in with the right dimension from the hole, from like say...lowes. like pvc piping? i've seen them on there. or should i go with a blade holder from tcss?

and also how would i secure the electronics inside? glue them? or what?

xl97
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
hi..

you take your SINK TUBE you got from (wherever).. and use the Blade Holder adapter linked above..

this goes on the INSIDE of the sink tube.. flush with one end... and secured by screws...

this more or less gives you a 'threaded end' that will now allow you to pick ANY of the threaded blade holders in the TCSS store front.

I dont think you will find any 'off the shelf' parts that screw into the bh adapter....

this is the linking piece for using a TCSS balde holder on sink tubes.. you need a way to screw/secure them in.

As far as electronics.. depends on what you want to put in it.. but most people use a sled or cradle of some kind (pvc?) to mount their electronics to..

the inner diameter of most normal TCSS parts is 1.25..

your sink tube is more like 1.5" OD...