PDA

View Full Version : First Saber Build Thread...Ęthelflęd

havoc64
03-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone,

Well I have decided to build my own saber, and the parts are almost all in. I spent a great time researching the different parts and looking at different builds. I decided on the parts from the MHS Builder as they have a great fit and finish and will let me modify the saber in the future as I go on. The parts will also allow me to build a second saber for my Nephew who is a HUGE Star Wars Fan.

Below is the builder image of what I am going for.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/havoc64/Lightsaber%20Stuff/proposed.jpg

I was lucky enough to get a Crystal Focus during the last batch and have been brushing up on my soldering as it's been since the early 90's since I picked up an iron.

I had one of the new blade holders ordered, Style 21, but that added way too much to the length. So I ordered a Style 18 Blade holder and that took 1.5 to two inches off. I might change out the pommel too. Man I think I have made about 10 orders from Tim in the past week or so..lol

I love the diameter size of the 4 inch extension as they feel comfortable like the handles of my Claymore and my Bastard Swords. I plan on aging the saber with a custom finish...but want to leave that as a surprise to the readers of the build. I plan on putting a crystal chamber in the middle section with the Speaker and CF in the bottom section while the Activation Box in the section towards the blade.

As for the name of the blade, it's named after my 36th Great Grand Aunt, who was the Daughter of Alfred the Great, my 37th Great Grand Father.

Well Stay tuned as I will be uploading some photos tonight or tomorrow of the parts as they arrive.

Havoc

havoc64
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Well here is a list of parts that I have either in hand or on the way.

Crystal Focus Saber Core v5.10
1 of: 2.1mm plug adapter for smart charger
1 of: 2.1mm Power Jack
1 of: Kill plug style 3
1 of: 7.4v Li-ion 800mAh 14500 Battery Pack
1 of: Tenergy NiMH/NiCD/Li-PO/Li-ION/Li-Fe Charger
1 of: LED "TCSS style" Battle blade 1" OD
2 of: LED Engin LZ4 10W RGGB
1 of: Star thermal tape pad
1 of: LEDengine Lens Holder
1 of: 1" Hilt safety plug
1 of: Luxeon Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
1 of: Double male with slots
2 of: 4" Double Female Grooved
1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 21 "new style"
1 of: MPS Pommel style 10
1 of: MPS Clip
1 of: MPS insert style 12
4 of: JST connectors
1 of: 8-32 x 1/4" socket head
1 of: 8-32 x 1/8" Set screw
1 of: 8-32 x 3/8" Set Screw
1 of: 8-32 x .3" blue thumb screw
1 of: Red momentary switch
1 of: 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Blue Ring Switch
1 of: 3/32" Heatshrink tubing
2 of: 2 Wire quick connector
1 of: 1/8" Heatshrink tubing
1 of: Drill & Tap Hole
1 of: Activation box style 2
1 of: Box 2,3,5,6 Mounting holes service
1 of: MHS speaker mount V4
4 of: Chassis Disc style 3 with holes
1 of: Premium Speaker
4 of: 6-32 socket Head Cap Screw
1 of: D-ring belt mount
2 of: Brass 4-40 all thread
12 of: Brass 4-40 Hex nut
1 of: Screw on LED blade holder style 18 "new style"
1 of: Kill plug style 2
4 of: Chassis Disc style 1 with holes

I had some custom work done, some drilling and tapping for blade holder and some milling done for the activation switch box. They all look very well done and I am both impressed and jealous, wish I had a Lathe and Mill...

I also bought a new soldering iron as my last one was questionable and very old...I was looking at Wellers, but when I made a visit to the local Radio Shack I fell in love with their Model 64-053 Digital Soldering Station, and it was on sale! Bonus!

I have fired it up and the last couple of times have had great success using the iron at 680 Degrees Fahrenheit. It has a very fine tip and I'll have to order more of those from the web. I am using their solder as well, but at the moment the specifics of that slip my mind. I'll try and update that tonight.