PDA

View Full Version : Hello World!

KingOfAllSheeple
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Hello, I am new, and be warned, I will probably ask a bunch of questions. I have a design in mind, and would like to know what people think of it before I buy the parts. I plan to build battle-ready LED saber and would like to keep the price under $180.

I am worried that there will not be enough room for the battery and switch assembly in the hilt. I would also like to know if there is any special way to drill through the MHS pieces at home. I have a drill press already, but is there anything I should know before I start making holes in them?

The parts from pommel to blade holder are: Pommel style 3 v2, 4 inch deep fluted double female connector, ribbed grooved choke combo, blade holder 10

Thanks,
KingOfAllSheeple

Silver Serpent
02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Nothing too special for drilling. Aluminum is a soft metal. Use a center punch to mark your hole location. Before you drill your switch holes, it can be a good idea to drill a smaller pilot hole first. Go slowly, wear eye protection. Aluminum slivers aren't fun to get in your eyes.

You can easily keep the price for a soundless stunt saber under $180. Adding sound will increase the price quickly, as you'll then want things like li-ion batteries, recharge ports, chargers, the sound board itself, etc. Keep in mind that you can always upgrade your saber later when you have funds.

There are budget sound options available (econo hasbro, MR/FX), just look around the forums here for ideas.

Vlad Doon
03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Don't worry too much for the room for the battery as you'll always have the Li-ion battery solution, even with a soundboard, you'll need from one or two of these AA babies

KingOfAllSheeple
03-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Ok, I shall try the pilot hole thing when I get the parts. It is reassuring to hear that there will be room enough for all of the parts.

Thanks,
KingOfAllSheeple