PDA

View Full Version : Extend/Retract

newcatastrophe
12-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Hello all... I'm new to this board and I've been considering getting an LED mod for my MRFX sabers. I've read up on a lot of topics, but I haven't come across anything about power up/ power down lighting effects. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? Thanks a lot.

Stan Johnson
12-12-2005, 09:24 AM
The shop has one o' them there fancy computing chips; I think in the description it said that it could create a power up/down effect.

xwingband
12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Yup, the Corbin Das LED driver Tim/Styrdur stocks will give the power up/down effect, but I believe if you are modding the MR FX it wouldn't be possible. In an FX mod you're keeping the existing electronics which are desgned to light up strips in sequence not light up one LED gradually.

newcatastrophe
12-13-2005, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up info guys. That's a little disappointing that I can't get the effects with a MR saber. Oh well.

Stan Johnson
12-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't know much about the guts of a MR, but if you were skilled couldn't you fit all the stuff in there? In the description it just says that you need to apply power, so would it matter that the MR electronics have a different method to light up the MR blade?

xwingband
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm not 100% on whether the light up is maintained but I seriously doubt it is. MR's light up strips of many lower powered LEDs as opposed to 1 luxeon. To get the up/down on 1 LED you need a driver that slowly brings up the voltage. Since the MR is just a strip the voltage is applied and goes down the line. I also believe in the conversion he takes out just the top to mount his blade holder in there and uses the rest of the existing electronics. I think taking out the batteries and switch would be really hard. Styrdur would know all of this for sure.

GeluKhanGharr
12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Stan is right, your problem is not in the electronics, but in the space in the hilt. The MR module works perfectly with the Corbin extend/retract module, only you need to find a way to fit them both in the hilt. Corbin's module also has the lock-up and shimmer effects wich add a lot to an MR. The only issue you have here is finding a way to add one more momentary switch to the hilt so you can use these features.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light side.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

xwingband
12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
I knew that, but without corbin's driver (which doesn't come with what Tim offers as his conversion in the store) I don't think you get the up/down effect with just what's in the MR.

GeluKhanGharr
12-13-2005, 03:26 PM
xwing, you're absolutely right. A straight conversion lights up the blade instantly. But I think the extend/retract effect is overrated anyway. I care a lot more for the shimmer, in a stage duelling situation it has a strong effect on the audience.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

Stan Johnson
12-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I WAS RIGHT!?! HOLY CRAP, I'M NEVER RIGHT!

Melek Taus
01-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Is there a short video posted somewhere showing how the power up/down of an LED blade with Corbin's driver looks?

Melek

LAN-ED-TUL
01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
that sounds like a great idea. a video would be fantastic.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Melek Taus
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
TY...ok....since I don't own an LED blade....would someone mind doing a little movie showing what the extend/retract looks like on one? Better yet...do all the functions of Corbin's driver board....that would be great.

Thanks.....

Melek Ta'us

There is no light or dark....there is only the Force. Knowing this...who dares to challenge me?

UltraSWG
01-29-2006, 02:26 PM
You need to use Corbin's blade film if you want to see the extend/retract. If you use a normal diffuser, all you'll see is the blade fading on and fading off, which is something you can achieve with the stock MR board anyway.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

suit_man
01-29-2006, 05:58 PM
ultra, how do you make the blade fade in and out with the stock mr sound board?

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Melek Taus
01-31-2006, 12:20 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by UltraSWG

You need to use Corbin's blade film if you want to see the extend/retract. If you use a normal diffuser, all you'll see is the blade fading on and fading off, which is something you can achieve with the stock MR board anyway.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Where's this film located? It's not active on his website even though there's a radial button for a video.

Thanks

Melek

There is no light or dark...there is only the Force....knowing this...who dares to challenge me?

LAN-ED-TUL
01-31-2006, 01:04 AM
theres no video yet, theyre talkin about the film itself for the blades.

Melek Taus
01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

theres no video yet, theyre talkin about the film itself for the blades.

Oh......Duhhhhhhh....LOL It was a long day....cut me some slack...LOL

Melek Ta'us

There is no light or dark...there is only the Force....knowing this...who dares to challenge me?

Melek Taus
02-19-2006, 07:31 PM
So...no video yet? I'd like to see how one looks.

Melek Ta'us

xwingband
02-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Someone else posted this in another thread. It's pretty [8D]

http://media.putfile.com/Eriksmagenta

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Protein5000
02-19-2006, 11:46 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by suit_man

I've read Ultra telling how to hook up the MR to get the fade in/out effect with an MR board on the Force.net boards. I was looking all this morning but I couldn't find it.

Anyone else done this?

Less talk, more action........

LAN-ED-TUL
02-20-2006, 04:29 AM
email ultra he should be able to help ya.

jmumby
02-27-2006, 11:28 PM
I have a power up power down setup - I have only just got it going (before finding this forum) Unfortunately all the plastics that are plentiful in the states are harder and more expensive ($20 for a 1 meter blade) here.

Anyheu It has 50 10000mcd leds that light up in 5 banks giving the impression of a blade powering. I used a PIC (picaxe) and Darlington driver that anyone could lash together to fire it up.

Unfortunately I can only really find single LED posts on this site has anyone used multiple LED's to fire up the blade?

Jason

Umi_Ryuzuki
02-28-2006, 12:09 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by suit_man

Looking at the wiring, you could, theoretically, put a decreasing set of resistors onto the MR sequential leads.
The highest resistors on the first lead in the sequence, and reduce the resistence on each consecutive lead till the last lead in the sequence has no resistor at all. Five resistors over six wires. It is just a matter of determining which is the first and last in the on and off sequence of the MR wiring.

Nyow!
/
=^o^=