PDA

View Full Version : Next saber project

Ty_Bomber
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey Guys, just wanted to check in here before I place my order with Tim and get your feedback since this is the first non-conversion I'll be working on. The design is a collaborative effort based upon my wife's feedback that is meant to blend the Qui-Gon and Obi TPM sabers. I will be adding some sleeve material to the piece to help with that prequel era look, and I included a picture to give you an idea of the skeleton of the thing.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x444/HeroofEverything/oracle1.png

Here's a parts list for you to peruse. Constructive criticism welcome.

BH 15 w/Glossy wet black PC and custom machined grooves.
Choke style 1 short with style 1 PC in wet black
Main body style 2 with standard hole and PC style 1 wet black
Pommel style 7

I am also going to be ordering some services such as the blade retention screw, more holes for switches and what-not, etc, but I need some input as far as the electronics layout goes.

I want to set up my first PC install for this, so I'll need an aux button, and I'm debating the new box style 13 so I can add a rice and recharge port, but I'm unsure how best to cut a window in the MHS Sleeve material to accommodate the box with it's unusual shape. Internals are another concern. If I go with an in-hilt recharge, I will consider the new 7.4 14500 packs Tim is now carrying, and place the card on top of the pack, just behind a 2W speaker, but I'm unsure how to attach all these to a chassis system and still give access to the SD card if changes need to be made, or unplug the batteries if they need to be swapped out for any reason.

Thanks for looking, everyone. Cheers.

amwolf
02-23-2012, 04:53 PM
If you're using the Rice port, I believe you can access all of the card setting EXCEPT the sound files, so if you've loaded up the SD card with the sounds you want prior to installing the card in the hilt, you'd be good to go. As for the shape of the box, order it separate or wait for the whole thing to come in, then trace it onto your sleeve material (also make a template for future reference). Is there a length issue with the Box and the speaker/batteries/PC that may require a longer extension - maybe Tim can answer that? If you're using the 2w speaker with the v4 holder you can just thread some 4-40 rods in and butt them up against the bottom of the choke with a chassis disk, and the pommel against the v4 (flip it for reverse sound and add some sound holes forward?).

Ty_Bomber
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Good point regarding the rice port, amwolf. Since its a PC install, the font I go with will pretty much define the saber and once I get the font and load it onto the card I won't really have much need to switch it out again. The saber is for my wife, and though she's always wanted a saber of her own, I don't think she's so picky when I comes to the subtle differences in sound fonts. I will likely orient the board so I can get access to it regardless, just in case, and make the speaker easy to detach from the rest of the chassis so as to access the board. Thanks for the reply!

DarthTratus
02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
I am also developing a lightsaber with a similar concept, combining the pre Empire style, Mine however is more Qui-Gon/Graflex though, I like your design though.

Ty_Bomber
02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Qui-Gon graflex? I look forward to seeing that! His piece is going to look pretty different once the 2 shrouds are added, but I think I'll be waitin until I finish the install before posting any more pictures of the hilt. Next up is the schematic for the electronics.