PDA

View Full Version : Before you flame, please consider this "black blade" idea.

Darth_Plexus
02-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Im prepared to be flamed or something for this, but its worth a try, just hear me out.
I know a "black blade is not truly possible how we all imagine, unless we use After Effects (with viideo co-pilots helpful tips)

I was thinking. to make a black blade as seen here:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Y4ysXHp6AMA/TVYZC7watJI/AAAAAAAAFY0/HuDRfGRr8C0/s400/Black_Lightsaber_General_Starkiller.jpg

Maybe use a single white LED (brightest is Seoul P4, if Im remembering correctly) at the base of the hilt.

Take a mix of Jay-Gon Jinn's blade construction here: (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7274-How-to-construct-an-LED-Blade-%28or-at-least-how-I-do-it%29)

And place styrofoam like Hasbro and MR use in their LED blades, but cover the styrofoam in black material.
(Im currently using electrical tape to test it, and I will post pictures soon. Im actually nowhere near home as Im typing this but I needed to try and get this to someone who may feel like trying sooner.)

Im thinking that maybe the LED with the help of the thick plastic of the outer blade will help the white stand out even more, and solve the black blade controversy.

When I get home, which won't be for at least 4 days, I will put this sith to work. If anyone wants to try before me, please do.

Batosai
02-15-2012, 09:42 AM
I tried something simmilar by accident. I wanted the wrap my 1" trans white show blade with celophan and used one that's not totally transparent and a little more silver.
the result was, that the blade was totally dark and you saw no light at all.

just wanted to share my experience with you and I really don't want to stop you from trying it yourself.

BR bato

Darth_Plexus
02-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Damn. Thanks though. Im still gonna try, but maybe I can use something really really thin, but has no possibility of transparency at all. Im still thinking of ways, maybe get some of the white light to bounce off of a somewhat shiny black rod, to give the blade a reference of light intensity as it goes further up the blade.

Kevin Starwaster
02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Damn. Thanks though. Im still gonna try, but maybe I can use something really really thin, but has no possibility of transparency at all. Im still thinking of ways, maybe get some of the white light to bounce off of a somewhat shiny black rod, to give the blade a reference of light intensity as it goes further up the blade.

your light wont travel up the blade because you're obscuring it with that rod.

unless you

#1 made that black rod very thin to give room for the light to go up the sides

and

#2 used a pair of axicons (cone lenses) to give the beam an annular form otherwise you'll still lose a lot of light as the rod would obscure the led.

and use cinefoil matte black, not something shiny. also those lenses i mentioned are very expensive unless you could find cheap glass or acrylic alternatives. whole lot of caveats here....

Silver Serpent
02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Not going to flame, but please read this sticky post. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13100-No-More-quot-Black-Lightsaber-Blade-quot-Threads

When you have a working prototype with build log, please go ahead and show us.

IndustrialAction
02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Doesn't work. I hate to say it but you should try your ideas before you post. There has only been one "successful" version of this so far and I wouldn't even really call it successful since it was only viewable at two specific angles.

Sunrider
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
For the Umpteenth time. First make said black blade. Then if it works post your results.

Darth_Plexus
02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
That's why I posted that if anyone wants to try before I post my results, please do. I wanted to get the idea out, evidently because there are builders with more time and resources. And money. Next time I'll consider pm'ing every individual for a result.

That being said, I have a few pieces where I will try to post the results, but as IndustrialAction pretty much clarified, it all depends on the viewers angle. Which is pretty much how my mini experiments are showing to me. If you don't want this thread open, then feel free to close it. Just trying a new theory before giving up on it. If anyone wants to help me with this then please pm me.

Sunrider
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
The point is, the idea is already out. It has been out since that game came out. Many have tried and they all failed miserably. If you read the black blade threads you will know.

Weaver
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Without repeating what's already been said, I've got a helpful hint which applies to all of life; not just lightsabers:

If you have to preface a statement with "Don't get mad, but...", then it's probably best left unsaid. I've been guilty of it myself, but have tried to kick the habit in recent years. Basically, if you know the subject will cause a stir, it's time to evaluate whether it should be made.

With that said, I'll politely point out that the proposed solution is pretty much identical to another black blade thread I saw. To summarize: Black does not reflect light, white light bright enough to be seen would obscure the blade, etc, etc.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love to see one. I think the allure of a black blade is almost entirely "forbidden fruit"; we want what we can't have. It's just that physics has other ideas. As long as we are limited by the technology we have available, there are only so many designs we can try.

I've had the same problem with choreography: There are some stunts I just can't pull off without CG, lifts and wires, or other Hollywood-grade SFX gear. Even with the best equipment, there are some effects which simply can't be shown without computer animation (because they aren't physically possible).

I'd say "keep at it", and, if you are successful, I'm sure lots of people would be interested. The problem is that so many people have posted ideas on "how it might be done" (and many of those ideas are far too vague to be helpful), that the community at large literally headdesks at the mere sight of the words "black blade".

It's kind of like "over unity".

Silver Serpent
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
I understand your enthusiasm. I appreciate the fact that you'd like to share your idea with all of us. But black blade threads have popped up numerous times in the past. They almost invariably turn into ugly flame-fests. Do not let this dissuade you from trying your ideas on your own. However, I will repost what J-Lo has stickied in her other thread:

-----

Unless you have a working prototype with accompanying photos and build log, do NOT create or update any thread concerning "Black" lightsaber blades.

There has been more than enough theorycrafting and fanboy supposition about black blades.

Light does not work that way.
It's physics.
It has been that way for a very long time and will not change any time soon.
Please stop posting about it.

All it does is make people angry.

-----

When you have it working, come back and we'll talk. :)

Onli-Won Kanomi
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Can someone please please please put a silver-tipped iron-wound holywater-soaked mistletoe wood stake in this vampire ideas heart?

Whenever it rises again I'd like to take a time machine back to whenever TFU was being planned and beat whatever artist suggested a black blade over the head with a 20lb Physics textbook until they are dead dead dead...then I remind myself not to give in to the Dark Side...but its tempting...

...and thats all I'm gonna say...

Jay-gon Jinn
02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Please read this topic before posting anything further here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13100-No-More-quot-Black-Lightsaber-Blade-quot-Threads

Kai Sabol: Jedi Knight
02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Can someone please please please put a silver-tipped iron-wound holywater-soaked mistletoe wood stake in this vampire ideas heart?

Whenever it rises again I'd like to take a time machine back to whenever TFU was being planned and beat whatever artist suggested a black blade over the head with a 20lb Physics textbook until they are dead dead dead...then I remind myself not to give in to the Dark Side...but its tempting...

...and thats all I'm gonna say...

Remember, they did it in the Clone Wars, too. They all need to learn to physics.

Weaver
02-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Guys, we are technically in violation of Jedi Loreen's request. That thread specifically instructs members not to create or update threads concerning black blades. Several members (including myself) have violated the second portion of that request: We have updated this thread. I humbly suggest that we let it die.

As far as the lavish, physics-based beatings, you do realize that we're involved in a hobby which takes place entirely outside the realm of conventional physics, yes? Sure, there's a difference between theoretically possible and outright foolish, but both are still not feasible within the realm of available science. I specifically remember reading an article about George Lucas' original conception of the lightsaber, which basically amounted to nothing more than "a coherent energy blade that cuts everything, and can only be stopped by another lightsaber". That's basically all he had, with no thought to whether it would be possible or not, or how it would be done. All of the explanations and theorizing came afterward, unless what I read was totally false.

I think it's good to remember that we're enjoying a hobby which brings us closer to a movie we love. Getting deeper than that seems somehow counterproductive. At the very least, it's a great way to start an argument.

With that said, and with the promise that I'm not trying to "get the last word", I will ask that we abide by Jedi Loreen's request and not post any more replies to this clearly banned topic. If you (meaning the general public) are interested in replying to my comment, I welcome a personal message. I will not post any of the messages in any public thread, in compliance with the ban on black blade topics.

I'm walking away, now. Happy sabering.

Jedi-Loreen
02-20-2012, 01:20 PM
I said there are to be no more "black blade" threads.

Locking