PDA

View Full Version : Buying powder-coated parts at different times

Jenny
02-13-2012, 07:59 AM
If I buy two MHS bits with powder-coating at two different times, how likely is it that the nominal same color will be noticeably different on the two parts?

Darth Xusia
02-13-2012, 09:11 AM
I have never noticed a difference, even with parts that were ordered months apart. Tim does awesome work. ;)

Jenny
02-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Good to know, thanks. It'll probably be easier for me to find the money to order parts piece by piece instead of all at once. Can a part be powder-coated and then media blasted to take the shine off the finish, or will the blasting take the whole finish off?

Silver Serpent
02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
You can do media blasting before applying PC, not the other way around. It'll have a more pronounced effect if you're using the translucent PC colors.

Buying a piece at a time may seem easier on your wallet, but you'll end up paying a good bit more on shipping. I'd recommend getting a shoebox or something and stashing money away until you can afford to get most of the saber.

Vlad Doon
02-14-2012, 08:35 AM
As far as I'm concerned, I haven't noticed significative differences..

Buying a piece at a time may seem easier on your wallet, but you'll end up paying a good bit more on shipping. I'd recommend getting a shoebox or something and stashing money away until you can afford to get most of the saber.

Haha yes, it's a good way, but doesn't work with impatient people (like me) :p

xl97
02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
IMHO.. some things to keep in mind.

1.) if doing a 'trans' color.. IMHO.. its always bet to have a nice buff/polish on the piece before hand.. (and flaw, scratch or imperfection shows well uner trans colors for the most part)

2.) colors should match unless from a different supplier or different finish.

3.) you would use a flat or matte color if you dont want a 'shine/gloss' on your finish (not media blast it)

4.) you can lathe/machine down section on pc'd part to make grooves or reveal bare metal under in any fashion/pattern (for the most part)

5.) if you do powdering coating AFTER and on different parts at different times.. keep in mind that things like blade retention screws, switch holes.. leds holes..etc might not line up after pc'ing as they will not screw together the same as when bare metal ( and hence the time you got your holes drilled)

Tahm
02-16-2012, 01:24 AM
I wouldn't recommend it. I've done them at different times and noticed some big differences. It essentially has made me have to redo all the pieces (at the same time).

Strydur
02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
The only color that has ever changed (that I can recall) has been the Black Chrome.

Tahm
02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't know why they look different but they do. Both are the "copper metallic" color. The blade holder (first one to get PC) is much more "coppery" than the more recent ribbed extension (more of a dull almost red color). Luckily I've redesigned both parts to work on different sabers. But at least for me I'll plan on doing my PCs at the same.

Strydur
02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
I take that back.. the copper changed as well lol. There should not be any changes here on out but you never know I guess.

sfer1
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
The new copper metallic is very different than the old copper jacket metallic. I don't know why you changed it, but I liked the old one much better. The copper metallic is too orangish.

Strydur
02-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Not sure how "old" you are referring to but I have purchased the same copper metallic for the last 3 years almost.

sfer1
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Here's a comparative picture of the old Copper Jacket Metallic versus the new Copper Metallic.

The colors are very different. The old one looked more like real metal. The new one is more orangish and looks like the plastic choke of the Master Replicas Obi-Wan Episode III FX lightsaber.

Lord Dottore Matto
02-06-2013, 12:46 PM
The new copper metallic is very different than the old copper jacket metallic. I don't know why you changed it, but I liked the old one much better. The copper metallic is too orangish.

I can answer this..."he" didn't change it, the manufacturer did. The manufacturer changes their formula/mixtures of pigments periodically as the colors "evolve" and become more "realistic". Newer coppers are more orange than the older ones because copper itself is more orange...at least that is what the distributor tells me ;)

lonewolf
02-06-2013, 09:06 PM
The one on the left looks more like a zinc-plated copper color. The right one is closer to the true color of copper (maybe a bit too orange), although it lacks a certain sheen that I generally associate with the metal. Of course, this could be an effect of the camera's white balance, the lighting being shone on it, my screen's calibration, etc. I'd get a piece of copper house wire and compare it to that. Household wiring is supposed to be pure copper.

As for the color changing over time, I think Lord Dottore Matto has it right. If they figure out a color formula that looks more "copper" colored, they may change it. The same thing happens in a lot of industries which is why they recommend that if you absolutely need a specific color to match you should buy it from the same lot at the same time. A paint shop will do a color match for you if you bring in a sample. Not sure how that would work with powder coating though.