PDA

View Full Version : Petit Crouton Question

jedimastergarcia87
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi. I saw a video of a TCSS saber and they used Petit Crouton sound with a single li-ion battery. I was just wondering how that would be done and if it would make the inside of the hilt more roomier. I saw the new pointy pommel and it looks pretty sick and it gave me an idea for a killer Sith saber. I got a new job and I will be getting more money in the wallet than what I get now so it'll now be easier for me to do builds. I will be getting 50 bucks and putting 20 in the bank and so on. Though using a single battery, would it lessen the run time? And if so how much? Sorry for not doing any builds. I'm just waiting the right time to do one. Hope the Petit Croutons are back in stock by the time I can get one though.

Machinimax
02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
It depends on what size Li-Ion battery you are using as there are multiple sizes. Some are as big as AAs while others can be twice that size. It also depends on how much room you have available in your hilt. Now using only one Li-Ion of any size would give you a little more room but I really recommend that you go with two. Two batteries will make it easier for you to make full use of many of the PC's functions. Believe me when I say you will be able to make it work as long as you plan everything out.

jedimastergarcia87
02-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I plan on using a single 14500 AA. Keeping it simple. :P

Sunrider
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
No. I would say you can't run any setup off 1 14500. The PC needs at least 1v over led vf to work properly. That woulds be 4v for red and 5v for blue & green. A 1 battery setup is marginally functional at best, even with a 18650.

Weaver
02-05-2012, 10:14 PM
I have to agree with Sunrider. We're talking about very particular electronics. Every measurement should be as closely matched as possible, even if you're modifying the design. Trial and error is fine, but most of the error has already been explored by the forum members who came before us.

jedimastergarcia87
02-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I forget who did the set up but they made it seem like it could be done. So I was just wanting to get second opinions on it. I saw the new charger by the way and it looks pretty good. Seems to be alot in stock too. I guess I will just use 2 batteries to be safe.

Wong Yoon Wei
02-06-2012, 08:28 PM
This is still an ongoing debate until today but it's actually fine to used a single 3.7V li-on for the PC. LDM and many other builders have done so.

LDM did it for his MKVI run and it's green and it's very bright. Caine I believe also did some saber with a single li-on with a PC.

Crystal Chambers
02-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I did it. With my "Liberty" saber.

A single 14500 will run a PC and a lux3 plenty bright for 45 minutes. There was no trick to making it work. Standard wiring job. It should do ok with a rebel (except maybe red, check the stats out first) but I wouldn't recommend trying it with more powerful LEDs.

This thread would be more helpful if titled....petit crouton voltage?

jedimastergarcia87
02-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Eh. I will just stick with the 2 because I will be using a rebel deep red led.

Wong Yoon Wei
02-07-2012, 10:56 PM
With a deep red led you can definitely get away with one 3.7v li-on since red only needs like 2.5v to power.

Sunrider
02-08-2012, 06:23 AM
The rebel reds are the only led I could think of that might run ok on 1 cell due to the low current and voltage requirements.

Darth Scorn
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I have had my saber built for about a week know all my wiring is correct and it was working great,I was swinging it around today and all of a sudden it shuts off, didn't reboot, nothing, I put the kill plug back in and pulled it nothing then I plugged in my smart charger it booted up and will turn on and that is the only way I can get it to work, can someone please tell me what's going on please

Silver Serpent
02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
It sounds like your battery pack is dead. Did you say you can power on the saber when it is plugged into the charger? If that's the case, you have the recharge port wired incorrectly.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?2235-Recharge-port-hookup&p=51391#post51391

It sounds like you may have the black and green wires swapped.

Darth Scorn
02-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes it will power on when plugged into the charger and positive my recharge port is hooked up correctly.that was the first thing I thought of, my pack is #ead but when I plug it in it boots up and says the charge is full when I pull the charger out it cuts off I will quadruple check to see if my wiring is correct but this is the first issue I've had

Silver Serpent
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Plugging anything into the recharge port will cut power to the board if you wired it in the "kill key" setup. Since it's getting power from the charger while plugged in, it sounds like you have the board negative and battery negative wires swapped. That would also explain why it won't recharge the battery pack. The plug is cutting power to the battery instead of the board.

Darth Scorn
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
YES you are absolutely right I feel like an idiot but I'm glad that's all it is thank you for the help can't believe I did that my schematic shows the correct way and the manual I had in front of me during my build but I still reversed them lol thanks again

Silver Serpent
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
No problem, glad you got it sorted out. Make sure you let it charge all the way up before you start playing with it again.

Darth Scorn
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Cool thanks again