PDA

View Full Version : New to the Scene! Electronic Parts for my Saber assist...

StamRevan
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Hey all!

I have decided on the hilt parts via MHS builder and generally all mechanical parts. I want to start making up my electronics list and by that I mean LED and SOUND...
Here is what i've looked up so far and i would appreciate any assistance and feedback on my following dilemmas...

1)Li-Ion or Lithioum batteries and what battery holder do i get?
2)LED recommendation(do i need a driver...)?
3)Soundboard and appropriate electronics to support it...

I want to share my general knowledge of what the electronics should go like and correct me where needed

Battery to-Switch to-Soundboard to-LED (via wiring) What are the items i need in between e.g resistor buckpuck etc...

I am searching the forums and the web for aid in my build and I would really appreciate some insight on the matter, being able to present my questions in the forum...

Sorry in advance for my noobish behaviour but, hey we all have to start somewhere, hopefully with your assistance i will become better at this...

Cheers!

MasterStoddard
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
A lot of our fellow saber smiths would recommend rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. When I built a saber for a co-worker's son a couple years ago I used 2 AA sized Li-Ions. It was with out sound so I wired it up for direct drive, using a 3.9ohm 5w resistor to keep from burning out the Luxeon III Star (Royal Blue). As for sound and a driver, if you can afford the Petit Crouton then you shouldn't need a driver unless you get a LED-engine to mix for a particular color from what I've read and for that you would want a couple Power Xtenders™to run the LEDs and one for a Flash on Clash LED. If you do go with the AA sized Li-Ion batteries you can use a 2 AA battery holder and wire a PCB on to it with out having to solder directly on to the batteries which can be risky.

Hope I was able to help a little bit with your questions.

StamRevan
01-31-2012, 02:25 AM
Thnx for the reply my friend Li-Ion it is :)! After reading your post thoroughly i managed to answer some of my questions, but if you had the time I would like to narrow them instead of the bombardment of my first post...
I'm thinking on going with Petit sound module and a luxeon rebel star (green)
-Do i need resistors or a buck-puck for the module?
-As for the LED do i need to get a base as well as a lens holder and optics?
-Also will Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module(link below) work as my tip of electronics assembly, meaning ready for connecting with the rest of the electronics?
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Rebel-Star-LED-MHS-Heatsink-Module-P653.aspx

Generally a quick diagram-draft of what i need in between to connect the electronics from [ Li-Ion batteries to switch to Soundboard to LED ] the wiring is up to me ;)

Thnx again for bearing with me... Cheers

Garrek
01-31-2012, 03:13 AM
If you use the Petit Crouton you wont need to resistor the main led as it has an on board LED driver.
If you use a flash on clash you will have to resistor the flash, you'll need an RGB/RGGB/RGBW/RGBA LED to use that feature however.

If you buy the LED Module that you linked, you don't need anything else, that has an led, heat sink, lens holder and lens all prewired to a quick disconnect type connection and already assembled into the heat sink module.
You just need wire a female connection for it to the board then slide it into the blade holder and connect the two.
Or connect it to the resistor/battery if you don't go with one.

If you buy an LED star then you will also need to buy a heat sink, thermal tape pad, lens holder, lens and then solder the wires.
You'll save...what $5ish if you assemble it yourself.

If you want to use an RGB/RGGB/RGBA/RGBW star you will also have to wire that yourself, make sure you buy the new lens holder made for that led.
Here is the 4color led the store has.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/LED-Engin-LZ4-10W-P651.aspx

Also make sure you read the PC manual as well it has wiring diagrams and explanations of everything you can do with it.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/images/PC1.6manual.pdf

One thing to note is that the switch connects to the board, rather then between the batteries and board.
I would suggest not only reading the manual until you see it when you close your eyes but also to print out at least the wiring diagrams, so you can look at it and double check as you wire the board.
Because if you confuse a connection you could blow the board....as in literally.
After connecting it to a battery that is, they don't blow up until then. ;)

StamRevan
02-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Thnx for the info, u've been more than helpful... Hope i dont blow anything up ;)

See you around Cheers!

StamRevan
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Final Electronics check...

Parts:

1)2AA Battery holder

2)PCB for 3.7V Li-ion Battery

3)2X Li-Ion 14500 Rechargeable AA size 3.7V 800mAh

4)16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Green Ring Switch (will it work as latching with PC soundboard?)

5)Black momentary switch (for aux or recharge port...)

6)Petit Crouton Sound Module v1.6

7)Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module (with 2 Wire quick connector for quick connect with soundboard?)

Kill plug style 1 (in recharge port, right?

9)PLI (Power Level Indicator) (where and how do I wire it?)

PS: Is wiring included for connecting parts? e.g switch with soundboard etc... ?

Thnx in advance! Cheers