PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion on parts please

amiranda29
01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Hey, I am building my first saber and I have been reading and researching for a while. I am about to drop a load of cash on these supplies and before I do, I just want some opinions on my parts list. I would
appreciate it alot.
- MPS Pommel Style 4
- LED Holder 9 "new style"
- Hilt 4 with Standard switch hole
- Bullet shaped tip for 1" thin blade
- 1" thin walled trans white PolyC 36"
- 1" hilt safty Plug
- 8-32x3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw
- MWS with 4AAA Battery holder, Buckpuck 1000mA 6-wire, and Switch03-Standard switch w/black button
- Seoul P4 LED & MHS Heatsink Module-Green
- Green O-ring
- MPS insert 9

Now im not sure if i really need the thumb screw cause I know I read it somewhere that the Hilt for the MHS already has a retention hole and I also was reading that it doesnt. And since the product
description doesnt clarify that, I would appreciate it if someone would solidify that for me so I can get the right thing. Also, one more question. Do I really absolutely need a retention screw? I am not going to duel with my saber. I am just using it to go to a convention and to show around. Will the friction from the blade and the blade holder keep it in? THANKS so so much. :D

Silver Serpent
01-29-2012, 07:36 PM
You're going to want something to keep the insert in the pommel. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Clip--P72.aspx works perfectly, though it's tough to get in and almost impossible to get out.

The blade holders do not come with holes for the blade retention screw. I HIGHLY recommend you get a retention screw for the blade. Sooner or later someone is bound to take a few swings with the saber, and you don't want the blade to pop loose and hurt someone.

amiranda29
01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
So in all I am going to have to get the blade holder serviced for a retention screw? I feared this. Any idea on how long this process will take? Cause I am kinda on a time restraint and Im going to order my supplies over the
weekend. Do you think I can use a .3 thumb screw to hold the blade? cause they are alot prettier lmao. Is there a less permanent way to set the insert in? And Thank you so much for your help.

Onli-Won Kanomi
01-30-2012, 03:05 AM
I notice you didnt mention either a covertec or a D-ring; since you mentioned a convention have you considered how you would carry it at your con? A #12 pommel insert instead of #9 would let you hang it from a belt hook [also available here]. Good Luck with your build and MTFBWY.

Silver Serpent
01-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Takes about 5 mins to do it yourself, if you have access to a drill press and an appropriate sized tap. I don't think the drill and tap service should add much time to your order, if you don't want to do it on your own.

amiranda29
01-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I am going to have the blade attached when i go to the Con. I am going to upgrade my hilt later on so i can have the covertec. but i dont have the money now. im just gonna carry it in my hand

amiranda29
01-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks to everybody who has helped. Especially Tim, he is a lifesaver