PDA

View Full Version : What sound should i use

fippe40
01-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Hi im about to order parts so i can build my first lightsaber but don't know what sound i should use. leave a comment on what is the best sound card that you think

Crystal Chambers
01-27-2012, 06:31 AM
That depends on a lot of factors.

price
functions and performance
sound font/custom sound fonts and config files.

Personally I think the petite crouton has the best average of all that I just mentioned. It is the only sound board available in TCSS and unfortunately you would have to find sources for anything else in other saber forums since discussing the purchasing of other products isn't cool.

Seeing as you're new here I will suggest you put the search engine here to work and you should find just about everything you could ever need to build a saber.This is a do it yourself site so taking the initiative to find info and asking more informed questions will get you much further.

Examples can be found in the gallery when videos are posted. Wiring diagrams are here as well to give you and idea of what is involved in the installs. You can also find reviews on youtube.

It can be a difficult, but so rewarding. Welcome aboard and good luck!:D

Skottsaber
01-28-2012, 04:55 AM
My suggestion would be to look around on Youtube for sabers, for a good variety of boards you can look at channels such as drmdicarlo (http://www.youtube.com/user/drmdicarlo) (LDM), and VadersVault (http://www.youtube.com/user/VadersVault).

Weaver
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
I can also add personal experience, here. I have one of the PC-U cards. Although I have not yet been able to successfully integrate it into a fully functioning saber, I did sample the sound quality of both Light Meat and Dark Meat. The sensitivities are tricky to set up properly, but it is a good card which boasts the ability to swap out the entire configuration file and sound font, all at once, by either RICE port or by replacing the micro SD card. The Obsidian, which I was quite fond of in the beginning, cannot do that. As far as I know, it can only be modified via USB and the configuration settings were never clearly explained on the shop page.

I can't speak to the function or effectiveness of the Crystal Focus board, since I (like so many others) do not have one, but I can say that nearly everyone in the community seems willing to sell a kidney to get one. I haven't seen many people here who are clueless, thus I must conclude that it is a good card. Plecter Labs has more information on the specifications of the card. I looked it up and it appears as though the CF can do a few more tricks than the PC-U can do; Multiple Sound Banks, for instance.

If you're truly new to the hobby, you may want to consider picking up a 2010 Ultimate FX at a local toy store. There are several wiring schematics on the forum which will show you what to do, although I admit that I'm a little lost on some of the finer points. I plan on doing this myself, once I have my hilt pieces. Whether it's more complex/difficult/etc or not isn't the main point behind this recommendation; price is. For $25-$30US, you can afford to break one.

Vlad Doon
02-01-2012, 09:04 AM
If you want a top quality soundboard, go for the petit crouton sold here. It's a "cheaper" version of the crystal focus (difficult to find now), it's configurable, terrific sound quality...but because of its price you won't want to toast it by miswiring it, so it requires minimum abilities and knowledge.
I won't do any publicity for other boards not sold here, but IMHO this board can be considered the best board currently available in the market.

Otherwise, you can go for a cheap hasbro for practicing