PDA

View Full Version : A little check-up

Dimsim
01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Greetings to all Masters and Lords,

I'm a new Belgian guy here, finally starting on a childhood dream, owning a real lightsaber with light and sound.
Before placing the order I just want to make sure my parts are correct and the build will work.

Here I ask you to bestow your knowledge unto me and aid me in my smithing.

The parts:

x3 Clash snensor (for if I ruin one)
x3 Swing sensor (for if I ruin one)
x1 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw
x2 2 wire quick connector
x1 1/8" adhesive lined heatshrink tubing
x1 Seoul P4 LED & MHS Heatsink module (red) (needed a 2.7 OHM 2 Watt resistor which I did not find on the site, is more watt good too?)
x1 Hilt style 3 with standard style switch hole
x1 MHS Choke style 1
x1 Blade holder style 6 "new style"
x1 MPS Pommel style 8
x1 push on/off switch (latching)
x1 4AAA Battery holder
x1 Blade film (quad wrap 1" thick walled") (I read quad wrap is better for even brightness?)
x1 LED TCSS Style Battle blade 1" OD 40 inches

I found a Darth Vader soundboard (http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/350518671584?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) on Ebay, will it still fit the hilt after the wiring?

Vlad Doon
01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Welcome here

Well, let's start with the board. Normally, MR or Hasbro boards already have swing and clash sensors, so I don't see why you want to buy them. The board will fit in diameter if you get rid off its black plastic protection cylinder. It may be tricky to fit the board and the battery holder in this hilt. In this case, go for another battery configuration (under 6v for sure). I see you have the thumb screw but if you don't have tools to drill and tap the hole, go for the service in Tim's shop. I can't see any speaker ???
Grab a 5 or 8.7° collimator and a lens holder if they are not included with the LED. And If you want your hilt parts to look like your drawing, don't forget the powder coating service. And some wires if you don't have any at hand.

Dimsim
01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I wasn't sure about the clash ans wing sensors on a hasbro.
A tap and drill set is no problem for me, as I have a lot of hardware tools at home.
I didn't add the speaker because I thought the darth vader would have one, I guess not?
The powder coating I have on my wishlist but didn't add it to this list as it wasn't really necessary to be sure to buy it ;)

Going to make the changes right away.
Happy to be sure now, can't wait to get started on it!

Vlad Doon
01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Alright, the hasbro lightsabers guts are mainly composed by the led module, the soundboard (and sensors) compartiment, and the battery/speaker combo. I suppose you bought the black soundboard cylinder, or just the the soundboard itself with the wires in and out, so you'll need one speaker.
If you have the battery/speaker combo, you will have to rip off the speaker from the combo, and it's quite tricky, so go for one from here, as they are far better .
Good luck

Dimsim
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
I was planning on buying the 4AAA battery speaker combo from here, but as you said in your erlier post you said it might be tricky to fit everything in.
For the red P4 Seoul I need at least 4.8 volt, but I also need power for the soundboard. The vader MR Hasbro soundboard is a 4.5V setup.
A 3AAA battery pack is not enough juice then and a 4AAA+speaker combo might be too big with the soundboard included?
The vader soundboard is this: 6344

Vlad Doon
01-16-2012, 04:09 AM
I strongly suggest you to get rid off (carefully) the black plastic cylinder to have an easy access to the wires and pads.
As for the battery, a 3AAA will be enough juice (perfect 3x1.5v). Remember that the board will drive your led, so your led won't be "fed" by more than the soundboard output voltage (4.5v), you can check some new hasbro removable lightsabers have a 3AAA battery pack; But if you have serious space issues, you could even go for a 2AA battery, with a 3.7V Li Ion battery and a dummy cell. You'll have a 3.7v which is, IMO, enough for the board.

Vlad Doon
01-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Post update;

New rechargeable Li-ion batteries available in the store could be a solution.

Dimsim
01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Order is already in process, but definitely something coming in my next order, quite took my interest.