PDA

View Full Version : Will it work? lol

Manroon
01-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Hey all, not exactly sure when I'll be able to get around to taking a shot at this (or having someone with more experience take a shot for me lol), but I think I've got my dream build worked out in the builder and I want to see which of the two versions I came up with I'd have to use to make the features I want work. Here's the render: (sorry if it's a tad large...)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/Manroon/s42render.jpg

Now, IDEALLY, I want to use the top one. The bottom was sort of a back up version I came up with in case the first turns out not to work. ;)

MHS Parts list (for the top one): No 8 Blade holder, ribbed grooved choke combo, 4" double female extension, clamp (ideally, this would be a functioning clamp, not an MHS part, as I want to use it to hold on a removable shroud/sleeve), and lastly a No 8 Pommel.

What I'd like to have crammed inside this sucker: I want to cut a window in the choke and use it for an exposed crystal chamber (assuming that choke is big enough to stick a crystal in), soundboard (preferably Obsidian w/ FoC), something in the way of a yellow/gold main LED for the blade, dual speakers for the sound (one aimed to come out the crystal chamber, one out the pommel), possibly an accent LED or two, and lastly, an in hilt rechargeable battery strong enough to power it all.

Now, I'm used to nice and simple pre-built sabers... so all I can tell drooling over this picture I came up with is that all that stuff would probably be a darned tight fit.... IF it would fit. Hence why I did the lower version, swapping the 4" double female extension for a 2" one, and adding another 2" double female between the emitter and the ribbed grooved choke combo. (the main idea there was that I thought I'd probably need the main LED to be above the crystal, or else a lot of the light would go out the crystal window instead of into the blade)

Soooooo..... risks to the lives of cats aside, my curiosity forces me to ask. Do any of you experienced people think the upper one could be made to work? If so, could it be done cramming all the guts I listed in, or would I have to sacrifice a feature or two to make it happen? Thanks in advance for any and all advice, suggestions, tips, help of any kind, and etc! :) =/\=Manroon

Silver Serpent
01-11-2012, 07:07 AM
A crystal chamber in that choke? I don't think I've ever seen someone attempt that. Possible? Maybe. Easy? Definitely not.

You're likely to hear negative comments about Obsidian on these forums, but last I heard it did not have any blade effects. You'd have to spend additional money for the flash effect unless that's been added recently. The Petit Crouton is a fully featured sound card and LED driver with effects, and the latest version includes FoC. It's also sold in the store here.

Two speakers is probably overkill. With a good sound card and proper resonance, you'll have all the volume you need.

If you've built several sabers before and are good at the art of cram-fu, you may be able to get all that in there. If this is your first saber, you may want to try something a tad simpler. You can always upgrade it later as your skills improve.

Note: FoC™ or Flash on Clash™ are properties of Plecterlabs and are only used with Plecterlabs products (such as Petit Crouton and Crystal Focus). Anyone else is using the term without permission. Auxillary Flash is the acceptable term for competing products.

Manroon
01-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the input. :) Actually, the latest version of Obsidian does have a flash feature. I have thought about the PC, and I've only heard great things about it, but I've never had one myself before where as I do own and have seen a few Obsidians and love them. Don't know that I'd object to the PC though, I suppose I'll have to check it out before this thing gets that far along.

The idea with the two speakers was more for effect than for volume, I love the idea of sound coming out of both ends of the thing. Just an idea that's been rattling in my head for a long time that I'd like to use, basically. lol

As for my own building experience... it's pretty limited. I'm thinking more than likely I'll end out looking for someone more experienced to do the actual build for me, but we'll see. Who knows how much building I might get under my belt before I get to this hilt? ;)

And thanks for the tip about Ultra-talk not being too popular around here, I know some people in the hobby have issues with them, but I AM kinda a big fan of theirs and their product did inspire me to come here looking for more parts. Still, I'll make a point to keep the Ultra-talk to a minimum in respect for the company and forums here. :)