PDA

View Full Version : The "Outcast"

MasterStoddard
01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
These will be the parts I plan to use to build my first personal custom saber. Updated list of parts list. I am only listing parts obtainable from TCSS.

Hilt
Pommel style 3
2 inch double female
double male adapter style 1 x2
hilt style 2
deep ribbed extension
4 inch double female
blade holder style 22 (with style 4 heatsink)
box 9
copper covertec button

Internals
CF v8
CEX
7.4v 2600mAh 18650 battery pack
switch 22
16mm anti vandal short momentary purple ring switch
2.1mm power jack
6 wire quick connector (x?)
4 wire quick connector (x?)
2 wire quick connector (x?)
20mAh Dynamo hm Variable resistor
Stainless steel 4-40 all threaded rods (x?)
chassis disc style 4 (x? Plan to order 6 to be safe)
3.5mm R.I.C.E. Port style 2
all 10 colors of 28 gage wire for various parts (25' spools of each for other projects)

Ka'getsu
01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
That's going to be a monstrously long saber... Are you used to wielding an No'dachi or a Claymore if you don't mind my asking? Other wise the hilt would be a bit long IMO. Nice design aesthetic regardless :).

MasterStoddard
01-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I have practiced in the past with the Darth Maul el-cheapo Hasbro hooking several sections of the blades together. I found it to more comfortable to use then the Luke or Vader ones I had as a kid. I was actually thinking of the Scottish Claymore while deciding on my hilt length. I felt as though I had better control over a saber with a longer hilt when I tried it years ago with the toy hilt. I'm hoping to be able to start ordering parts soon for this project.

captain_mills
01-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Cool! Too long for me, but cool!

Oh, and, I like your avatar... ST fans in an SW forum... :D

Ronan
01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
I wonder if the OP knows just how long that will be... lol :p

Ka'getsu
01-08-2012, 10:53 PM
@ MasterStoddard: Thats cool, I was asking because I practice 3 different Japanese sword styles Jigen Ryu Heiho Kenjutsu being one of them, and I know that a sword with an extremely long hilt can be really tricky to use if you don't have experience using one. And again, nice design aesthetic. I look forward to seeing it lit up :)

-K-

IndustrialAction
01-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Before you commit to making something that big, I would try to make a mock-up of it and add a mock blade too. That is an awfully big saber considering it isn't a staff. One of my early sabers was about 14" and I think it is too long.

MasterStoddard
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
I stumbled across a thread that recommended the use of Potentiometers to get the desired shade of purple. So now I have two questions.
1. Can a Potentiometer be used in conjunction with the PC and Power Xtender™?
2. Where can I get some to work with if I can't get them from the shop?

If I can pick Potentiometers up at the local Radio Shack I have a P7 LED I can use for a test rig to practice making the adjustments till I order the LED Engine. As for the length I can always cut the blade if need be with my Dremel and my diamond cutting wheel.

Crystal Chambers
01-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow that is long. I agree 14" should be plenty long for a two hander. From what the experts on colour mixing here have suggested mixing using pots with ther PC or CF might not blend as well with ramp up and and down. The red will be more prominent when it's not fully lit. I believe there's a thread about mxing colours stickied about it somewhere here.

Also I'm not sure why you have the short double female near the pommel. I suggest trying removing the longer one near the emitter and moving the pommel one to the emitter end. You can easily mount a covertec knob opposite your switch though you may want to grind the screw for it so it doesn't protrude into the hilt. Also if you want easy access to the SD card the switch may serve you better in another location.

MasterStoddard
01-17-2012, 11:15 AM
There is a reason for the two inch section near the pommel, I was going to have the speaker as close to the switch as I could thus giving me a resonance chamber, and as for the five inch section near the BH that I'll let my diagrams kindly explain for me. Total length with the 2 inch section will be about 22.35 inches which is about 2.35 inches longer then the 1999 Hasbro Darth Maul hilt.

http://vxs-229home.web.officelive.com/images/Saber-MK2-render-diagram.jpg
http://vxs-229home.web.officelive.com/images/Saber-MK3-render-diagram.jpg

MasterStoddard
01-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Sorry if I've come across a bit gruff in any of my posts. I haven't been feeling well the past couple weeks for multiple reasons.

MasterStoddard
01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Well I found my little chest of crystals last night and picked out the crystal I plan to use for this saber. I had ten crystals to choose from. I figure if I get a special young woman in my life and she'd like a saber of her own I'll use my best looking crystal in it, so I'm keeping that in deep reserve for the time being. It's also my largest around crystal. I plan to use a couple lexan discs cut to the same size as the chassis disc to hold the crystal over an LED rig of two or three 3mm super purple LEDs to illuminate the crystal.

My crystal collection.
http://vxs-229home.web.officelive.com/images/crystals.jpg

The crystal I plan to use lit by a single super purple 3mm LED. (covered the flash of my camera with a finger hence the red glow on everything in a pic with out my finger over the flash it looks more blue-ish)
http://vxs-229home.web.officelive.com/images/litcrystal.jpg

The crystal I plan to use unlit with room light.
http://vxs-229home.web.officelive.com/images/roomlitcrstal.jpg

lukeskyrunner666
02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
how do i change my avatar

Jedi-Loreen
02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
You don't even have an avatar. So what's to change?

You're new, so I highly suggest you go and read all the stickied posts in every sub forum.

To answer your question, read this thread:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10125-PM-s-Titles-Avatars-Signatures-and-You-(Noob-Guide) (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10125-PM-s-Titles-Avatars-Signatures-and-You-%28Noob-Guide%29)

If you can't make an avatar with that information, that means you haven't been here long enough, and/or haven't made 10 posts yet.

And next time, ask questions like this in the "Welcome to the Forum" section, so as not to derail someone else's thread.

Thanks

MasterStoddard
03-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Well right now this project is on hold due to hours cuts in the grocery store chain I work for.... I may even be looking for a new job soon because of the local union wanting it's members to call for a strike next week. If there is a strike, any of the Virginia employees who strike can lose their jobs under the law.

MasterStoddard
11-30-2013, 05:23 PM
This project is still on hold for the foreseeable future due to having to find a new place to live and getting into the swing of two new jobs after losing the grocery store job I had when I started this thread. Two of the former coworkers claimed I said things I in fact did not so I am having a rough go of things right now. I have been looking at things using the MHS builder and Photoshop to see how I might etch and cut the designs into the saber. When I can get on the shared computer I will try to get some images reloaded for all to look at.

MasterStoddard
12-25-2015, 02:03 PM
This project may be getting back in to play sooner then I thought. It may still take some time to get all the parts in to do the build. If I am lucky I'll be able to order a few parts in February. Need to find a better place to live then the rat trap I'm currently living in.

MasterStoddard
11-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Well if I'm lucky I might be getting some of the things that I need to get this project under way. My next paycheck will have a small bonus. If my store did well with its sales for black Friday and does well the next couple months I might get another bonus come February.

Also I updated my parts list in my first post of the thread. Yes I am aware that there are parts missing but I can't get them from TCSS so I didn't feel right posting them.

MasterStoddard
02-24-2017, 10:59 AM
I was finally able to start collecting parts from the shop. Ordered Wed. morning a 1 Amp smart charger with 2.1mm adapter, 18650 7.4v 3400mAh Li-Ion battery pack, 2.1mm power jack and a Crystal Focus V8. All arrived today in the mail along with my brand new ESD safe Soldering station about 10:30am EST. Soldered up the board for the speaker and power to test it. Now I need to wait and see if I get a bonus this quarter from work and maybe order a couple more of the pieces I need.

My goodies that arrived in the mail. (https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16826069_10211781810842545_2627878955918663789_o.j pg?oh=a3ce697866b66762fcff8ed22deb605e&oe=5930110E)

jbkuma
02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Congratulations on getting started! You must have the patience of a stone!

ls-event
02-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Read through thread and then noticed the massive time gaps. Patience does indeed come to mind; that and sticking to a plan even after being punched.

MasterStoddard
02-26-2017, 10:36 AM
@jbkuma, @ls-event,
Life can be a pain sometimes. "Patience is a virtue.", comes to mind quite often when thinking about this project.

This is the quartz crystal I'm now thinking of using for this build. Thought it looked really close to the Illum crystals that were seen in the episode "the Gathering" SW: Clone Wars. I kind of want to make a mold of the crystal before putting it in the saber so I can shape the one end a bit maybe for a better fit.

MasterStoddard
03-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Just a rough mock up of what I have in mind for my crystal chamber. The crystal is photo-shopped in with it's height and with. The chamber itself will be directly below where the blade holder screws onto the hilt. I'll be running at least eight very fine wires through the chamber and need room for either two four wire or one eight wire quick connectors between the chamber chassis and the flat LED heat sink. The 1" windows will first be etched into the surface of the 4" double female MHS section then carefully cut using my dremel and hand files. I'm not sure what if any greeblies I will add in to liven things up. Some of the truly die hard SW fans will hate me for the windows being Klingon letters one of which will create a small and large window. I might add a small diamond shaped piece at the top of the chamber.

Anyone have any ideas as to how i can mount the crystal over the RGB LED.

Greenie
03-05-2017, 02:37 PM

GregTheForce
03-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Look for some hollow ,,adapters" like the small one in Greenie's pic... You can find them and other things like that in a hobby-shop or hardware-stores...

MasterStoddard
03-06-2017, 03:23 PM
No hobby shops in the mountain town I live in. The nearest town that might have one is over 30 miles away and that's way too far to walk. Guess I'll have to check the known hobby shop web pages. And hit the Lowes near where I work next week while I am off.

I like the piece in the middle of the pic under the piece that looks like it came out of a motor. Someone mentioned that I might try using a set screen to hold the crystal in place. Would that work?

Greenie
03-07-2017, 12:40 AM
That piece is a cut off from a brass hose adaptor. The pieces to the left and behind on the right are from co-axial TV jacks.

MasterStoddard
03-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Well Amazon wasted me about $30 for a silicone mold making trial size kit. I now have to wait to get a refund for it. The part A was almost a solid mass it had thickened so much. I just hope that I can get a good batch when I order another batch after I get the refund.

MasterStoddard
12-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Well I was able to order the main external parts right around Black Friday. They have arrived and I am working on making a multi piece drill guide in 3dsMax so all the holes will line up. Am also working on some personal designs for the crystal chamber parts for 3d printing.

Patience of a stone for this project. Losing my mother almost a year and a half ago did not help.