PDA

View Full Version : Diffuser.

obi-one
12-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi,

I recently made my first attempt at a Led string saber with no success. Maybe I just put the leds too apart from each other (1 cm space between them), or maybe I wronged at my choice of 120° degree leds, the point is I got very bright spots, dimmer areas, and of course, I could see the two vertical wiring.

So I think the key is in getting a very good diffuser. Actually, I didn't use any, I used a standard Luxeon Led blade, so shame on me.

How do you make a good diffuser? What's inside MR blades? (I've never have one).
I've read different things: some people suggest wrapping cellophane, others say 'foamy' (actually I don't know what they meant, the only foamy I know is a very thick sponge like and opaque material). I also read that using EL blade diffuser works too.

So, what do you think is the best way to build a blade for led strings?

Regards

Jay-gon Jinn
12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
The diffuser inside an MR blade is a foam tube. Other people have tried to find a suitable easy to find replacement, but as far as I know, none have been found.

WesTheBotMaster
12-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm in the process of making an LED string blade, and i'm using Plastizote foam tubing for my diffuser. I did some tests and it seems to diffuse pretty well, but I have yet to try an entire string of LEDs. Just do a google search for "Plastizote foam tubing for handle build ups" and you can get it from a bunch of places. If you get 3/4" with 1/4" bore it will fit perfectly inside a thickwalled polycarb blade.

Hope this helps.

Ka'getsu
12-30-2011, 06:22 PM
another thing you might consider is something that I've tried, basically I wrapped bubble wrap around the led string and used clear packing tape to hold it together (yay for 3-M :)) then i used a wrap of thin poly foam sheeting and used double sided tape on that.
Also i used 5mm super bright LED's with a 35 degree viewing angle (anywhere between 35 and 70 degrees gets the best results, 45 degrees is ideal), and weave the wires along the string. So far I've had pretty good results. It also helps if all the led's are from the same batch so that they have uniform coloration. As for spacing, the less space between the led's the better the blade is going to look when lit.

hope this helps :)

mtfbwy

obi-one
12-30-2011, 11:20 PM
I think I'll give it a shoot to the thin foam sheets, I think I got some of them lying around from some electronic appliance package from really long time ago. But first I'll get some new leds. I got some 70°, I'll put them right one after another as suggested in some post at the fx forums see how it goes.

In the meantime I'll look for foam tubes, I believe they can be found at medical equipment supplies stores, thought, don't know why exactly are they used for grips. I have not been able to found 40° leds either.

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Ka'getsu
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
I have not been able to found 40° leds either.

google "5mm superbright led 45 degree viewing angle" and you'll find what you're looking for :D