PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable 9v

obi-one
12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I want to ask your opinion on this: do you think a Luxeon Led can be powered from one 9v (actually 8.4v) rechargeable NiMH battery in simple resistor configuration?

I ask this because 9v (again, 8.4V) NiMH batts have usually very low mAh rating, usually around 170 mAh, and if NiMH have only a maximum discharge rate of 2C or 3C, then there is no way one lone square rechargeable battery could properly drive a Luexeon Led.

The 9v batteries are one of my favorite configurations, I think the Led + resistor + 9v batt is the simplest and quickest way to build a led saber, in fact, it's the way I built my first illuminated saber. But even if NiMH indeed could drive the Led, I don't think you would get more than 20 minutes of juice from them, I think I read somewhere that primary alkalines outlast them contrary to every other battery format.
Regards

Silver Serpent
12-28-2011, 12:28 PM
9v batteries are a wonderful power source for low-drain applications. Clocks, smoke detectors, remote controls, etc.

They are a very poor choice for high-drain applications. They simply do not hold enough stored power, nor are they designed for a rapid discharge. 9v batteries will light up normal LEDs just fine. They do not work well with the high-powered LEDs that we are using now.

If you want to run a 3w or so LED with no sound, then a single li-ion will generally give you all the juice you need, with far more runtime than you could ever expect to get from a 9v battery. For higher powered LEDs (5w, 10w) and/or sabers with sound, two li-ions is sufficient for most needs.

Sunrider
12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Do NOT use 9v batteries in a saber. Read AZ's li-ion battery thread and make a pack.

obi-one
12-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Yes, I believe I'll go for a pack of li ion

Where is that tutorial?

thanks

Silver Serpent
12-28-2011, 09:00 PM
It's a sticky post in the following section: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?28-Cutaway-views-and-wiring-schematics

There's a few other really good ones to read there, such as the one on recharge ports.