PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum

Weaver
12-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Hi, all.

You may have seen a couple of my posts in the past few days, but I'd like to take the time to introduce myself properly (since that seems to be what this section of the forum is for). It almost always helps, when dealing with people, to know a little about the people you're dealing with.

I am a 30 year old hobbyist who enjoys making things. Ever since the first day I picked up my pliers and began making maille (often called "chain mail"), I knew that I would want to expand that knowledge into other areas. I have also studied the art of whipmaking, and have become decently proficient with crafting 550 Paracord bullwhips. I really am happiest when I'm elbows-deep in parts and tools. I am also a tremendous fan of the original Star Wars trilogy. As a natural result, the day I saw the first Luxeon LED sabers on the 'net, I had to remind myself to breathe.

For myself, Star Wars has been much more than just a movie. It's been a tale of the struggle between good and evil, a warning against the tendancy to allow our darker emotions to sneak into our ethics and way of life, and as a cautionary tale against the allowance of any individual to gain enough power to oppress others. Because of that, and how I feel about the story in general, it only makes sense that I'd want to learn the complex and beautiful art of sabersmithing.

I have no delusions of skill or competency. I know it will take learning multiple related skill sets to even begin. That is part of the challenge. I read, I ask, I learn, I theorize. Maybe, one day, I'll be able to post a custom job on the site. For now, my studies have only just started.

My first goal is simple: To connect a power source, LED/Heatsink, and soundboard, with the appropriate switches, and see if it works. If it doesn't explode, I intend to move on to more advanced wiring, such as Flash on Clash. My first hilt is looking like either a ROTJ Luke clone or an empty hilt from "the other guys". It really depends on which is cheaper, or my financial situation in the next couple of weeks.

I've read up on several threads to gather the necessary knowledge. I think I'm ready to take the first baby steps. When it's done I'll post my results.

Thanks for reading.

Machinimax
12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Sounds like you've got a really good foundation to start with. Welcome to the forums and good luck (and have fun) with your first build!!

Vlad Doon
12-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Welcome abroad,

You have the right attitude. Through reading and theorizing, you'll achieve wonders. It's better to start with cheap boards, as you don't want to toast a CF or PC, but the wiring, diagram and cutaways section here must avoid you some trouble.

Weaver
12-22-2011, 10:23 AM
You're right, Vlad. I should have gone with a cheaper board. Somehow, though, it just doesn't seem the same. I plan on gathering as much safety and procedural knowledge as I can from these boards, then progressing in single steps to avoid damage. Besides, 90% of the knowledge I've already gained has been on the PC and its wiring; would it even apply to an Ultimate FX board?

Vlad Doon
01-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Well, there's a lot of changes between these boards, but IMO, it's way easier to wire up a MR or HASBRO board, and I think there are some tuts around here about the ultimate boards. Respect the voltage, the leads, etc, and it'll go fine .You're right, these boards are no match against PC or CF, but they are quite good for practicing.

cardcollector
01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Best way to prep for a PC is to de-wire a MR/economy board, and practice soldering onto those pads (not through) once you can do that well, with clean and small solder joints, you shouldn't have a problem wiring up a PC.

Onli-Won Kanomi
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Small steps find sure footing for a safe journey. Welcome aboard.

Noyl Wendor
01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome aboard :) I like your aditude as well, and small steps are definately a good way to start. BTW take a look at some of the pieces for sink tube the store offers, If after wiring is done and you want a starter hilt, my suggestion would be something along those lines. But an MR convert, or minor build will work just the same. Good luck to you and have fun. ;)