PDA

View Full Version : Wokring on my first build Any help would be appreciated.

Darth_Plexus
12-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Hello everyone. Im working on my first light saber build, and Im trying my best to plan it out as much as possible before I actually begin building.
Im working on making a sith lightsaber. Its inspired by slothfurnace's "Derelict" lightsaber, and Ballistic Jello's "Debris" lightsaber.
Those designs are perfect for my design, because I not the best drawer, nor do I have the money or tools to make it exactly how I imagine it to be.
Starkillers lightsaber from TFU 1 is a perfect and more accurate example, but Im trying to keep this lightsaber between 10 and 12 inches, prefferably at 10". IF possibly, I would like to attempt putting in a crystal chamber, but it is not necessary at all. Just an idea, if my request is possible. I definitely want the button to be inside the hilt, not jutting out. I'll worry about the sounds afterwars, but since Im on that subject, I want the light saber to have a menacing/intimidating power-up sound, with a quick and abrupt power-down sound. the overall humming when moving, I want to sound somewhat rusty, like theres an unstable crystal or the lightsaber crystal was not well-chosen. As for the blade, the brightest red led's I can find. I plan to make it brighter at the base, and slowly lessening in brightness as the tip is reached.

And IF I get a first build completed, I will double this design that I just described, but use a more experienced twist to it, as if the Sith who Im designing it for, has gained knowledge of the force.
(Im working on this all for a movie by the way)

I know this is a lot for someone attempting their first build, but I am very dedicated to this, and I've build some Halo armor in the past, so Im willing to be patient.
And until I deploy, I pretty much have nothing but time.
Any help will be greatly appreciated on this.

DarthTratus
12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Just follow the information in the forums, its there for a reason and it does wonders, good luck with your "Derelict and Debris" inspired lightsaber.

Darth_Plexus
12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks. I figured out the term I was looking for, and the material I need is a sink tube. I'll figure out what I have to do with it in time, but here's what I have so far..

What I want to to is give this a Graflex around the blade holder/emitter, and possibly mod it to give it a visible crystal chasis,

Darth_Plexus
12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Well here's a new design I came up with. I used whatever I could just to show the general layout, but Im probably gonna change it if i need to. I need the inside electrical parts now...

Darth_Plexus
12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone. Im working on my first light saber build, and Im trying my best to plan it out as much as possible before I actually begin building.
Im working on making a sith lightsaber. Its inspired by slothfurnace's "Derelict" lightsaber, and Ballistic Jello's "Debris" lightsaber.
Those designs are perfect for my design, because I not the best drawer, nor do I have the money or tools to make it exactly how I imagine it to be.
Starkillers lightsaber from TFU 1 is a perfect and more accurate example, but Im trying to keep this lightsaber between 10 and 12 inches, prefferably at 10". IF possibly, I would like to attempt putting in a crystal chamber, but it is not necessary at all. Just an idea, if my request is possible. I definitely want the button to be inside the hilt, not jutting out. I'll worry about the sounds afterwars, but since Im on that subject, I want the light saber to have a menacing/intimidating power-up sound, with a quick and abrupt power-down sound. the overall humming when moving, I want to sound somewhat rusty, like theres an unstable crystal or the lightsaber crystal was not well-chosen. As for the blade, the brightest red led's I can find. I plan to make it brighter at the base, and slowly lessening in brightness as the tip is reached.

And IF I get a first build completed, I will double this design that I just described, but use a more experienced twist to it, as if the Sith who Im designing it for, has gained knowledge of the force.
(Im working on this all for a movie by the way)

I know this is a lot for someone attempting their first build, but I am very dedicated to this, and I've build some Halo armor in the past, so Im willing to be patient.
And until I deploy, I pretty much have nothing but time.
Any help will be greatly appreciated on this.

After looking, I've also noticed that the piece I believe Im looking for is a sink tube?
Anyway here's a pict of somewhat what I mean..

Sunrider
12-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Is that a question? If so you need to be more specific. Also, make a worthy attempt to find the answer to questions that are common and easily found just by reading a little around here.

Darth_Plexus
12-06-2011, 12:10 PM
No I mean I do have questions, But I was making a thread for a WIP. Like I understand the parts and tools needed now. But I wanted other users input to help make this a great first lightsaber build.

Sunrider
12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
What would you say your skill level is?

Darth_Plexus
12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 being slothfurnace good, I would say Im about a 4 or 5. My biggest issue I feel would be making a crystal chamber, and doing the internal wiring. I'm probably gonna fail horribly when I get to that phase.

Sunrider
12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
What skills you are weak on, study what others have done here. The best advise is to take your time and plan out how you will fit everything and how it all will be mounted and secured. It takes around 6 months of studying here on the forums and playing around with ideas to get a basic grasp of saber building.

CGompertz09
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
After looking, I've also noticed that the piece I believe Im looking for is a sink tube?
Anyway here's a pict of somewhat what I mean..

What you're building looks pretty close to the hilt I built over the summer, http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13184-CG-s-first-saber-quot-Claimh-Solais-quot . The best thing for the shroud, in my opinion at least, is the sleeve material that you can buy on the site. It come a little more 'raw' looking than the mhs parts, but with some carful wet-sanding it turns out looking pretty darn close to the rest. It was also fairly easy to work with, I used my dad's Dremel tool to cut and shape it, and had no trouble even though I had never used that type of power tool before. I however haven't gotten to adding electronics yet, so I can't help much there. Best of luck to you though, and have fun with it!

Darth_Plexus
12-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks! I kind of changed my design because my hilt does look very similar to yours and I don't wanna seem like a copy cat. But Im Coming alone pretty nicely, and i will upload some pictures tomorrow. I guess I'll just worry about the overall hilt first, then the crystal chamber. I know that people say it will take a looong time to make this, but Im coming alone pretty fine so far. I just need to predetermine my tools needed, and how I will fit everything inside of the lightsaber once the electronic phase begins. I wanna plan the sounds out over this weekend possibly..

FenderBender
12-08-2011, 06:19 AM
If you're dead set on a crystal chamber, I would have Tim mill out a section of the ribbed piece. You should be able to fit any and all electronics in the rear grip, and you can put the switch in front of the chamber. It would be a modestly sized chamber. I've built a few hilts very similar to this over the years, and there has been room if I chose to put one, but I didn't feel it 'fit' the design.

Darth_Plexus
12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I might wait until my 2nd saber because a crystal isn't necessary but I do want to make a menacing-looking saber. Sleek, but maybe a little rough. With a ribbed extension within the sink tube.
I hate not knowing where to start, but at least I have a general idea of how I want the saber to look. I make small modifications throughout the days, until I can find something perfect for me.

newydog420
12-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Are you planning on using a recharge pack or just a plain battery pack? If you want to put a crystal chamber then I would suggest using the chassis parts sold in the shop to make a sled or make one using 1.25 in pvc. Either way measure everything out and triple check it. Where your emmitter and heat sink is going to be then the chamber, then the soundboard, and then the battery/ recharge pack. keep in mind where any accent LEDs or recharge ports are going to go on the main body and measure them out and make sure they are going to match up on your chassis sled. Take your time and experiment a little untill you find the right layout that suits you personally. here are some pics of a custom sliding tray that I made for the battery and soundboard for my build. This way all I have to do is unscrew it and slide it out to change batteries and the activation switch keeps it in line and from sliding too far. I made it using PVC and a hot glue gun. The speaker is mounted on the end and nothing gets twisted, pulled or stressed when changing anything out.Here's a pic of my finished prototype that I getting ready to build the finished, finalized saber, The Darth Se'Ri'Al. Hope this helps.

dgdve
12-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I really really love the design so far... and the planning is the MOST crucial part.

When designing the exterior ALWAYS keep your finished product in mind (dont see parts how they are.. see them how you want them to be... there's POWAH in positive thinking).. Be ever mindful of the interior layout with regard to things such as switch placement.. heatsink.. accent led's or what not AND how will these things be secured (the TRUE test of a saber is in battle my friend.. NOT on the stand.. so lets plan for it!)

When designing a "crystal reveal" saber you should really start dead center with the crystal chamber section (and reveal menchanism/method) section... figure out "How am I going to reveal and display it?" (without twisting, breaking/stressing your connections)

and

"Do I really have room for that?" <- is the ancient skill is known as Cram fu... is NOT to be overlooked.. NEVER assume it will fit.. measurements and tolarances are the key.. remember the soundboard has wires.. wire take space.. the speaker has a mount... this takes more space.. switches have bodies... batteries are much bigger then pictured lol.. boards need to breath to run at full efficiency.. heatsinks get HOT!!!.. all that with power windows, heated seats and the kitchen sink/Crystal chamber section... yeah (blah blah.. you get it)

"Do I think you can do it??" (absolutely, IF you plan accordingly)

"Do I think it's going to be easy??" (absolutely not.. but I ask "when is easy very rewarding?")

I see great things coming from this build and will watch (or offer any assistance I possibly can).. Sabers these days are nice (really really nice) BUT nothing compares to the first time you fire up a saber that you designed (on paper) and hand built..

Its not easy.. and the learning curve is steep IF you dont study and prepare.. BUT I say again.. "When is easy very rewarding?"

Welcome to the REAL side (where we build our own like the TRUE jedi/sith)

Darth_Plexus
12-12-2011, 02:55 AM
My progress blueprint wise is coming along pretty well. Is there a thread about making a crystal chassis? I've been looking but Im not sure if Im using the correct keywords. Im using a two-crystal layout and I've also came to the conclusion that I want it to house a removeable blade.

Pictures coming soon. Very.

Darth_Plexus
12-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Okay now here's the part where I correct myself. Sorry. I did find a post about creating a chassis, but I understand that its very hilt-specific.
I suck at drawing and the MHS doesn't give too much of a good reference. Im trying to find an inspiration to make a good hilt. I need it to be smooth, but also very starkiller, or vader-esque. I want to figure out the electronics, but I cannot. Not until I have a solid, final hilt.

Darth_Plexus
12-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Okay, Here are the final designs I have come up with. I only got four hours of sleep because I want to understand this as much as possible. So here they go.

The bottom most design will be my first saber.
The one above that, will be my second saber, symbolizing my (hopeful) transition from Apprentice to Dark Lord.
The unfinished saber with only two chokes and one adapter will be my last and craziest: A double-bladed.

Im not sure if I will be able to place a crystal Chassis in each, but I would like to. Im not worried about the staff yet. Im focused on the first two, and more so, the very first.
Im still having trouble figuring out how to wire it all. LED, Removable blades, and once again, a possible crystal chamber that can be shown by extending the hilt.

How would I go about installing a crystal chassis into the bottom most hilt? Im thinking of parts and ways to fit it in in a way that the upper half of the hilt can be extended to reveal the chassis.

Darth_Plexus
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I've been asking around for tips and pointers on my hilt designs and electronics, internals, and crystal chassis. If I can sum it up, I have a thread titled "Working on my first build". I've been working on these hilts literally for hours, trying to make sense of all of this. Heres my latest design bunch.

Okay, Here are the final designs I have come up with. I only got four hours of sleep because I want to understand this as much as possible. So here they go.

The bottom most design will be my first saber.
The one above that, will be my second saber, symbolizing my (hopeful) transition from Apprentice to Dark Lord.
The unfinished saber with only two chokes and one adapter will be my last and craziest: A double-bladed.

Im not sure if I will be able to place a crystal Chassis in each, but I would like to. Im not worried about the staff yet. Im focused on the first two, and more so, the very first.
Im still having trouble figuring out how to wire it all. LED, Removable blades, and once again, a possible crystal chamber that can be shown by extending the hilt.

Any tips/pointers are welcome..

Jay-gon Jinn
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't you already have two other topics on the forums regarding this saber of yours? Really, one is enough.

Darth_Plexus
12-12-2011, 10:12 PM
Im just trying to get as much help as possible is all.

Jay-gon Jinn
12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Im just trying to get as much help as possible is all.
You got plenty of help here:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13763-Working-on-my-first-build.-%28Tips-and-help-needed-and-appreciated%29

Why don't you be patient and let some of the members here have some time to respond to your posts before you start another topic asking the same thing? It's just good forum etiquette and is also mentioned in the forum's Guidelines found here:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read
Posting multiple topics regarding the same topic is considered spamming.

If you want help with something, you'll need to be more specific in your questions....just asking "give me some advice" is a little vague.

Darth_Plexus
12-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I apologize. I've been working on this like its my job and at the time I was frustrated. Sorry, I know others are busy as well.

xl97
12-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Ask a specific question... and someone will help.

lets start now.. do you have a first question, that is specific?

Darth_Plexus
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM

For the hilt at the very bottom, I would like to install a crystal chassis and still have room to give it the electronics for sound and and LED setup. How can I go about doing this? What pieces can I use for a crystal chassis? What is a good electronics setup, because I noticed that the hilt is kind of uneven and may not hold it all, which in that case, I can extend it.

xl97
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Well there is no 'definite' answer.. as it all comes down to taste and personal preference...

what we can provide is tips or tricks or suggestions to help you find what works for 'you'

That being said.. there are several 'builder snafu's' that people should be aware when planning the internals.

1.) chokes have smaller ID than other/normal MHS parts..
2.) ribbed sections have a smaller ID than other/normal MHS parts..

what does this mean to you? it means that things like battery packs, soundboards..etc need to be carefully planned and measured. As most will NOT fit in there..

your bottom saber is roughly 11" or so? give or take? yes? however the choke severely limits what you can put in there.. (if anything)..

(its best to have chosen/picked out your internals and try to see what fits and what does not.. when you hit a road bump.. re-evalute on the part(s) in questions and see what can be swapped out.)

So for example..lets say you want to use a PC1.6 soundboard... what battery solution are you going with? and more specifically what batteries (size) are you going to be using a single 18650 battery? will fit in the choke.. but isnt the "BEST" solution for powering the PC soundboard IMHO..

PC might fit in ribbed...(need to check).. batteries might fit in lower 2" section going into choke a bit..

this leaves the other aspect of your question..

crystal chamber? where you plan or want this?

is this a crystal chamber ONLY see when you pull out the insides? or is this a constantly visible crystal chamber that have a cut-out/window to display it?

these eat up precious room, that you already have little of.

As far as crystal chambers go.. again there is no set answer..or right or wrong for that matter. its what you see in your head and how you go about making it a reality.

your basic crystal chambers consist of chassis disks.. acrylic or aluminum (as in the TCSS store).. threaded rod and small OD/ID brass/aluminum rods/tubes.
brass/aluminum tubing
4-40 threaded rod (or whatever size you need)
chassis disks
leds
crystal

Couple with some leds and a either an acrylic or quartz crystal mounted in there.

I suggest searching and reviewing MANY of the builds here. to get tips and ideas on how they did theirs... and how they tackled/overcame certain obstacles of making a crystal chamber.. (such as hiding to snaking wires past the crystal)....etc

removing the choke with a longer extension piece will help alot of your problems..

hope this helps.

Some re-use old computer hard drive parts to dress up their chambers.. some make custom pieces/parts for theirs.

Darth_Plexus
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks a bunch. That actually did help because I was worried about the choke.
The crystal Iwill be seen only when I extend the hilt, Which I was planning to chamber inside of the ribbed extension. But I believe I will have to rethink that. I seen slothfurnace's Luke ROTJ build, and thats what I want to go for. If I can draw the pieces you've listed now, I think I can do it. But now I think Im best off planning my internal layout before my external.

Here is a modified version of what I have. I changed the choke, Extended the bottom half of the hilt, and gave myself an internal view for reference.

Do you think this is a bit more flexible to work with? Im dead set on this design so Im determined to see this through. However I also need to make sure my dimensions are correct before I jump in to anything. Im going to search some forums for electronics.

Sunrider
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Sloth's extending chassis is VERY complex and only he knows just how he did it. I would recommend not doing a crystal chamber let alone an extending chassis for your first saber unless you have a good deal of experience with machining and electronics fabrication.

Darth_Plexus
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Okay. Im just gonna focus on giving it sound and life. Thats enough to keep me satisfied for a few months.

Darth_Plexus
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
One more big question before I start posting work in progress... If I want to make my blade removable, can I also top off the emitter?

Sunrider
12-13-2011, 06:21 PM
MHS blades are removable. Was that your question?

Jedi-Loreen
12-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I merged all 3 of your threads together.

Please show some patience in getting answers and do not start multiple threads on the same subject. This is not good forum etiquette.

If I see it happen again, your extra threads will be deleted next time.

Thank you.

Please do lots of reading here (to see if you can find your own answers and learn more), and have a nice day. :)

Darth_Plexus
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
MHS blades are removable. Was that your question?

Yes. thanks on that one.

Darth_Plexus
12-13-2011, 06:56 PM
I merged all 3 of your threads together.

Please show some patience in getting answers and do not start multiple threads on the same subject. This is not good forum etiquette.

If I see it happen again, your extra threads will be deleted next time.

Thank you.

Please do lots of reading here (to see if you can find your own answers and learn more), and have a nice day. :)

Sorry about that. Thanks :)

Darth_Plexus
01-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Sloth's extending chassis is VERY complex and only he knows just how he did it. I would recommend not doing a crystal chamber let alone an extending chassis for your first saber unless you have a good deal of experience with machining and electronics fabrication.

Well there is no 'definite' answer.. as it all comes down to taste and personal preference...

what we can provide is tips or tricks or suggestions to help you find what works for 'you'

That being said.. there are several 'builder snafu's' that people should be aware when planning the internals.

1.) chokes have smaller ID than other/normal MHS parts..
2.) ribbed sections have a smaller ID than other/normal MHS parts..

what does this mean to you? it means that things like battery packs, soundboards..etc need to be carefully planned and measured. As most will NOT fit in there..

your bottom saber is roughly 11" or so? give or take? yes? however the choke severely limits what you can put in there.. (if anything)..

(its best to have chosen/picked out your internals and try to see what fits and what does not.. when you hit a road bump.. re-evalute on the part(s) in questions and see what can be swapped out.)

So for example..lets say you want to use a PC1.6 soundboard... what battery solution are you going with? and more specifically what batteries (size) are you going to be using a single 18650 battery? will fit in the choke.. but isnt the "BEST" solution for powering the PC soundboard IMHO..

PC might fit in ribbed...(need to check).. batteries might fit in lower 2" section going into choke a bit..

this leaves the other aspect of your question..

crystal chamber? where you plan or want this?

is this a crystal chamber ONLY see when you pull out the insides? or is this a constantly visible crystal chamber that have a cut-out/window to display it?

these eat up precious room, that you already have little of.

As far as crystal chambers go.. again there is no set answer..or right or wrong for that matter. its what you see in your head and how you go about making it a reality.

your basic crystal chambers consist of chassis disks.. acrylic or aluminum (as in the TCSS store).. threaded rod and small OD/ID brass/aluminum rods/tubes.
brass/aluminum tubing
4-40 threaded rod (or whatever size you need)
chassis disks
leds
crystal

Couple with some leds and a either an acrylic or quartz crystal mounted in there.

I suggest searching and reviewing MANY of the builds here. to get tips and ideas on how they did theirs... and how they tackled/overcame certain obstacles of making a crystal chamber.. (such as hiding to snaking wires past the crystal)....etc

removing the choke with a longer extension piece will help alot of your problems..

hope this helps.

Some re-use old computer hard drive parts to dress up their chambers.. some make custom pieces/parts for theirs.

I kicked the crystal chassis idea for right now. Until I start my fan film and make more money, its not a necessity.
Personally, I wonder if it would be okay if I occasionally dropped in to ask you both some questions during my WIP. Im going steady so far, working from top to bottom. Like Im gonna shoot for a Red Seoul P4, and possibly try to create a rechargeable battery section somewhere down the line.

Here's my final hilt design that Im working with btw:

If I can find all of the larger internal pieces and get their measurements, the rest should be somewhat less difficult hopefully. But Im looking to you two for help, if thats okay.

Jedi-Loreen
01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Closing this thread at request of Original Poster.