PDA

View Full Version : Newb question - AV switches and PC-U

Platypus Knight
12-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Is it possible to wire a single AV switch to control both the power on/off and the aux functions on a PC-U board? I am currently planing on wiring a SPST latching for the power and a momentary for the aux, but was just wondering if it was possible to combine everything in one switch somehow.

Batosai
12-03-2011, 08:48 AM
it is possible but only if the switch has two seperate switching positions. so basically two switches combined to one.
as far as I know, there are no av switches that support something like that, they only switch when pressed or released and so one function would constantly be activated and that wouldnt bring the effect you are looking for.
the only possibility I can think of would be a momentary dip-switch/rocker switch with 3 positions (neutrak, switch1 and switch2), so you could use one position for aux and the other for power on/off. Witch that you only activate a function when you really need it
I hope this helped you.

Bato

Platypus Knight
12-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought, I'll stick with my original plan!

Just got my PC 1.6 board today and can't wait to try it out, but I'm going to put it aside until the new 1.6 manual comes out so that I can make sure to wire the FoC w/PEX correctly.

Also, if anyone would like to give an opinion: I'm using a SPST AV momentary for my power switch but can't decide between a second SPST AV or a tactile momentary for the AUX switch. Can someone give me some good/bad on using one vs. another?

Machinimax
12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought, I'll stick with my original plan!

Just got my PC 1.6 board today and can't wait to try it out, but I'm going to put it aside until the new 1.6 manual comes out so that I can make sure to wire the FoC w/PEX correctly.

Also, if anyone would like to give an opinion: I'm using a SPST AV momentary for my power switch but can't decide between a second SPST AV or a tactile momentary for the AUX switch. Can someone give me some good/bad on using one vs. another?

I really don't think that there is any good/bad on using one or the other. It's really your personal choice of what combination of switches you like better and what you think will work best (or look best) for your design.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume this is your first saber?

Silver Serpent
12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Function wise, there's no difference. The tactile momentaries are smaller, and may be easier to fit into a cramped hilt. It boils down to aesthetics; go with what looks good in your hilt.

Platypus Knight
12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes, this is my first saber build. I own several other sabers, but have been waffling for the last year about attempting to build one. As soon as I get the rest of my parts from the shop, I'm going to start putting things together. I'll probably post my wiring layout in the next couple of days so that someone can double check my numbers.

I plan to use a 10w RGBA, with green or blue as the primary color and the amber for the FoC. I'm using a 7.4v Li-on battery; since the data sheet for the amber die says it has a forward voltage of 2.7v, running @ 1000mA, my math says I need a 4.7 ohm, 4.7 watt resistor for the FoC.

Both AV switches that I have are red ring, 2.1 v/20 mA, so I'm using 68 ohm/ 1/8w resistors through the 3.3v LED pad.