PDA

View Full Version : Some quick questions from new saber builder

Coltech
11-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new to saber building and have been pouring over every piece of information before I finish my design and order the parts for my first build. With this being my first build I do want to read over and learn as much information as I can before starting my build. Everything I have read in the forums has been extremely helpful and answered a good portion of my questions. However I have a couple questions and would like your opinions and directions to where I can find the information I need.
1) What is the opinion of using battery packs that charge in the hilt VS. using individual lith-ion batteries that are charged using an external charger?BTW do I need the Lith-ion PCBs in my hilt if i am just using 2 individual batteries charged externally? Also where would I find the information for an in hilt charging system with the parts needed?

2) I keep hearing about faux crystal chambers in some sabers. Where can I find more information on these and how to incorporate them into my design?

3) I have found the majority of my information and parts from Plecter labs, Ultrasabers and The Custom Saber Shop forums. Are there any other places you would recommend to find more information? Are there also some other parts suppliers?

4) Are there any conventions or gatherings where I would meet up with other custom saber builders or even find some Star Wars memorabilia.( ie: Comicons and sci-fi conventions)

Any information you could give me would be much appreciated. Even a nudge in the right direction would be helpful. I hope to post picture of my first saber build in the coming months along with many more as this seems like something I could really enjoy and get into.

thejedilestat
11-25-2011, 01:25 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?12829-Li-Ion-Battery-Packs

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?2235-Recharge-port-hookup

^^^ help with #1

i was gonna add a link to one of slothfurnace saber builds but i will let you look the way he puts togeather a crystal chamber is just art. no other way to say it slothfurnace sabers inspire people... well me atleast :)

Coltech
11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks the links were extremely helpful and have made me reconsider my electronics design. You are right the crystal chambers in the slothfurnace builds are pure art and inspiring.

My original build was to use 2 lith ion cells(individually) in 2AA battery holder wired directly to a Petit Crouton sound board. (from what i have read this will not likely work ) However if this is still possible let me know as it would be nice to know my initial guess on power was correct.

My revised design will now utilize a 2 cell battery pack with a protection board (hopefully TCSS sells these premade otherwise I will just order the parts and see if my local interstate battery can help me create my first battery pack. It doesn't seem too hard but it is nice to have someone nearby help on the first one)

As for charging I will use an external smart charger from TCSS for the battery packs.

Since this is my first build I will not be using in hilt charging systems or crytstal chambers incorporated in my designs until after i get a few more builds under my belt.

As anxious as I am to beging my first build I need to remember to keep it simple and not get too complex or fancy. That will come as i do some more builds and get comfortable with the basics. So far the most complex i will be getting is using lith ion battery packs and a petit crouton sound board.

By the way I would like to compliment and thank all of the members of the forum for making it easy to find the necessary information to begin this type of endeavor.
I have always wanted to build one but i did not know there were so many others that do and from what I can tell are pretty awesome at it.

pvcpo
11-26-2011, 11:32 AM
welcome to a great new hobby!!

Battle_1
11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
@ pvcpo: no offense, but i have to say it... imma wow fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWgs6YQR9A To the new hobby! *Raises up glass of wine*

Coltech
11-27-2011, 12:32 AM
yeah this is a great hobby,however my bank account may start to disagree.

Ka'getsu
11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
@ Coltech as for making battery holders... here's a link you might find useful, if you decide to start the hobby by making a PVC saber, personally I've seen some really amazing work done with it.
best of luck :)

~K~

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13583-How-to-make-a-flashlight-batty-holder-for-your-PVC-sabers.

Lord Dottore Matto
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Well, since I am the originator of the whole Faux Crystal Chamber (tm) idea, I will drop some info for you. If you want an actual crystal chamber, then just look around. There are tons of ideas to be had. On the other hand, if you want to do a Faux chamber then here are a couple of pointers. Faux chambers are used when you want the saber to "appear" as though it has an internal crystal chamber when indeed it does not. For this effect, you can do one of two things. If there is very minimal opening in the hilt, you can just use an internal accent LED. The light coming out of the openings "represents" the crystal that would be there if the saber were "real". If you have a larger opening, you may want to actually use a crystal (for example if the tip will be visible). In this case, you don't need to build an actual chamber, but can attach the crystal and accent LED inside your chassis. The crystal would be able to be marginally visible without the need for a full chamber. Does this make sense? PM me if you have questions.

Before you ask, Crystal Pommel (tm) works the same way. You can have a true CP or a Faux CP.