PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy resin and paint for organic sabers

Ironphoenix
11-21-2011, 10:41 PM
1. Magic Sculpt epoxy resin mix
2. any MHS part (in this tutorial a basic pommel)
3. painters tape
4. 8-32 screw
5.Citadel paint and wash
6.x2 small brushes (wash+drybrush)
7. Latex gloves

First I drilled and tapped an 8-32 hole and inserted a screw. Then I taped off the threads on the pommel.

Next, I get my epoxy and take a small chunk from each container. BE SURE TO WEAR GLOVES. Knead the two parts together.

I build my shapes around the 8-32 screw, this will give the sculpt a little added strength.

Ironphoenix
11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Now just add to the sculpt until you get the desired look. The epoxy is really sticky at first, but as it cures it becomes much more manageable.

After it cures, its time to paint. I used Citadel paints from Games Workshop because it's what I am familiar with. Black Wash, Flesh Wash, Bubonic Brown, and Bleached bone.

Ironphoenix
11-21-2011, 11:00 PM
The resin should cure within 3-4 hours prior to painting. start with the black wash, apply it liberally all over the resin paying attention to the cracks and recesses.

After it dries, apply a coat of flesh wash using the same methods.

Now, Grab the Bubonic brown and get a bit on a dry brush, wipe off the excess and then begin dusting the resin. Small amounts of paint will stick to the raised bits and highlight any textures. Apply the bleached bone after that in the same way.

It makes a nice bone-like look. Lastly, seal the paint with a gloss or flat sealant. Testors Spray seal is pretty good for that.

there it is, have fun!

Ronan
11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
You forgot to brush your stuff with water to eliminate your fingerprints.

Curiously, how much do you guys pay for citadel paint? Here it cost a fortune... (probably why the rack is always full)...

Darsha Sinis
11-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Good write-up, now I'm getting an itch to do a saber with an organic-esque motif. Maybe a shroud made from Tarantatek skull spike :D

May I please add to the knowledge base by including the fact that you can add dry pigments to the resin/hardener mixture to color it, which is a nice alternative to painting. Just rub a bit of it, in this case I used Gamblin Indian Red dry pigment, into the clay, and knead it through. Repeat until it is an even shade. Once it hardens, you can saw it, file it, and sand it to any shape and finish. It probably diminishes its structural integrity, to what degree i suppose depends upon the amount of pigment added, as it is granular-but-fine - so i wouldn't make a piece of armor without a wire mesh or fiber weave support. But as a sleeve or shroud, or pieces of non-stressed sculpture, it will hold up well.
This is my belt for my costume. It hangs high on my waist, with the front part draping down in a flattering (i hope!) slant.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8059/dsc00134yg.jpg

All the red pieces are Magic-Sculpt, as is a filled in section of the little gold grenade.

Ironphoenix
11-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Adding dry pigment is a great idea. I'm still learning about sculpting so any added info is really helpful. Also the water brush mentioned before. To smooth out the fingerprints, adding that to the mix.

Ironphoenix
11-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Great job on that belt, btw... :)