PDA

View Full Version : Biomech saber WIP

Ironphoenix
11-08-2011, 03:00 PM

The saber so far is a two part epoxy resin (Magic Sculpt) over an old vacuum wand. I added two MHS sink tube adapters, double female threaded section, pommel and sculpted over the blade holder.

Batosai
11-08-2011, 03:09 PM
that looks interesting! I am really curious how the final saber will look like.
will you leave the magic sculpt stuff on the saber as it is, or is it just a positive form for some GRP (glass-reinforced plastic)?

Ironphoenix
11-08-2011, 03:23 PM
The sculpt is permanent and pretty tough, so I'll be taping off the between bits of metal and paint it to look like bone. Then I will wrap the bend and the sound/battery chamber in a faux leather. It will be a red Sithy saber. If anyone knows of a stronger resin I'd like to try it. I made another saber with this stuff and it can withstand moderate dueling with no cracks or chips.

Ironphoenix
11-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Staining and drybrushing the epoxy, getting ready to seal it with Testors Flat enamel. Plotting my wrappings too. Hoping to have a finished saber by next week.

Crystal Chambers
11-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Nice! I can dig it. I've been wanting to do a sculpted saber myself and you just pushed me a bit closer to making it happen.

Batosai
11-10-2011, 11:51 AM
very nice, I really like how the bone-parts came out!

xl97
11-11-2011, 08:33 AM
being honest.. the first pics.. I was like.. (YUK!)..

then I saw the painted/finished parts! MUCH BETTER!... your 'weathering/painting' really made a HUGE difference in appearance for me.

good job on that!..

Id even say post a tut on how your approach to painting weathering the sculpted 'bone'.

=)

Knighthammer
11-11-2011, 10:48 AM
the finished product looks great!
Personally I would have liked to see the "bone" up the blade holder area, but thats me.

Ironphoenix
11-11-2011, 08:52 PM
being honest.. the first pics.. I was like.. (YUK!)..

then I saw the painted/finished parts! MUCH BETTER!... your 'weathering/painting' really made a HUGE difference in appearance for me.

good job on that!..

Id even say post a tut on how your approach to painting weathering the sculpted 'bone'.

=)
Thanks, I have a background in model painting, Warhammer 40k, Dungeons and Dragons miniatures. I basically took what I know about that and applied it to my resin sculpt. It was a ton of fun and won't be the last I do like this. So I may just do the tutorial. Thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback.

xl97
11-16-2011, 04:16 PM
TUTORIAL WOULD ROCK!!!!!! =)

please & thank you! LOL

Darsha Sinis
11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
i like it too. it has a Legacy-era look to it. you did a nice finishing job.
Magic Sculpt is the bomb! I made several parts of my costume with it. cool stuff. did you know you dope it with dry pigments? i have burnt red colored belt sculpture pieces and part of my cute little thermal detonator made with it.

Ironphoenix
11-17-2011, 10:13 AM
i like it too. it has a Legacy-era look to it. you did a nice finishing job.
Magic Sculpt is the bomb! I made several parts of my costume with it. cool stuff. did you know you dope it with dry pigments? i have burnt red colored belt sculpture pieces and part of my cute little thermal detonator made with it.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip! As soon as I finish this build I'll post a tutorial.