PDA

View Full Version : color question

newydog420
11-05-2011, 02:15 PM
ok people Ive read about a hundred threads, and have heard too many contrasting points so Im asking in general. So what's the best way or method to go about getting a purple blade effect? both for cost, time, and quality. Tim doesnt sell the duel die led emmiters so what other brands does anyone suggest for a blue and red die? What is the most efficiant method of dialing down the ma's on the red so it doesnt get the pink hue? Should I still use the PC with a resistor on the red or a seperate driver set up?
Thanks guys

xl97
11-06-2011, 06:58 AM
IMHO...

there are only two ways to get purple.

1.) white led with a filter of your choice of purple disks, or filters

2.) custom mixing.

For custom mixing you need a multi die LED.. either an RGB or RGBx combinations (RRBB, RGBW, RGBA, RBRB, BBRR...etc) (I have no clue what specific combos you can get/are available to be honest)

You can use a pot to 'dial in' the hue you are happy with.. and then 'meter it' and replace it with a resistor value of the same to make to more permanent.

I believe there have been many threads on this already.. so a quick search may lead some more specific answers or steps.

Takanis
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
XL speaks the truth. Do some searching and look/research potentiometers (POTS).

Filters are an easier way, but not as effective. Filters will always cause some dimming and de-saturation. Also: THERE IS NO MAGIC FORMULA TO MAKE PURPLE. It's is a preference-based thing. Some people like different shades of purple. If you go with an RGB setup, keep in mind that the Red die is more sensitive. Too much voltage to it.....POP! The resister value will depend on your battery set-up as well as your sound set-up. Hope this helps a little. I know I had to do a lot of research on RGB's and mixing and I'm still learning. Im just adding my own 2 cents. :D

Xanatos1986
11-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I was told by a good friend to try a ledengin 10w rgba, rgbw, or rggb, and wire the red and blue dyes in parralel and put a 10ohm 1/2w resistor on the red dyes positive wire. And for a deeper purple add another resistor. Hope this helps.

newydog420
11-08-2011, 02:02 AM
I was told by a good friend to try a ledengin 10w rgba, rgbw, or rggb, and wire the red and blue dyes in parralel and put a 10ohm 1/2w resistor on the red dyes positive wire. And for a deeper purple add another resistor. Hope this helps.

Thanks I'll try it out and see.

Xanatos1986
11-08-2011, 02:09 PM
No prob I haven't tried it yet but tell me how it works, on the pc also set it to setting 70

FenderBender
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Filters suck. Period. They are a subtractive method of achieving color and is not very bright or saturated.

Sorry, but just putting out an arbitrary resistor value is sort of like giving someone lottery numbers. Color/shade is very subjective, and you really should play with this yourself and get the shade you want. Keep in mind, that while you can dial your desired shade in perfectly, you'll get color separation on ignition/retraction with the PC/CF on a purple blade. This is the trade off with wiring in parallel and dialing in your shade. With series wiring, often you get the more violet shade, but it stays that color....all the time.

There are TONS or mixing tutorials on here. Most are pretty good. Its NOT hard to do, just takes some playing around and some good tools i.e.: multi-meter, 1W potentiometer, good range of 1/2-2W resistors.

BTW, Tim will be carrying a multi-die selection soon. No need to go elsewhere now;)