PDA

View Full Version : When building a PVC sled/chassis...?

Machinimax
10-29-2011, 09:41 PM
If I want to make a saber chassis out of PVC, I assume I'll need a 1 1/4" pipe which I will need to sand down a bit to fit inside my hilt correct?

Also, for anyone who has made a PVC sled for their sabers before, what do you like to do to secure the parts inside of the sled?

Thank you very much.

Weaver
12-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I saw another thread on cannibalizing a Garrity flashlight for the same purpose; one member replied about the possibility of using PVC sleds instead. I don't remember if it was mentioned on that thread, but I had an idea on how to snug up the fit a bit.

Once the PVC tube is cut in half, lengthwise, a shallow slot could be cut along the inside edge, on each side. If the slots are the right diameter and depth, the soundboard could slide right in. You could even secure it with a bit of hot glue on the four corners of the board (unless you want it to be removable).

I was actually looking at building one of these for my first setup. I didn't want my first sound board to go knocking around inside my hilt. That comes later, once I've confirmed that I know enough about the electronics.

Ballistic Jello
01-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I've used the M&M Minis candy tubes (the 1.08 oz tube if I recall correctly) as a sled to good effect. The speaker even fit pretty well on the end that had the lid after I cut the lid off. No muss, no fuss, and you get to munch on M&Ms while you build your saber...

Ka'getsu
01-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm guessing that wrath is talking about this thread. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?13717-Sound-Card-Cradle-Sled-Idea, and yes i have personally used this method of making a sled for soundcards/chassis' using PVC and I've also used m&m minis containers (glad I'm not the only one :P) for this purpose. As far as the PVC goes, you want to use 1" (1 1/4" outer diameter) schedule 40 pipe and sand it down slightly so that it fits inside the hilt.

cheers

Ka'ge

Silver Serpent
01-20-2012, 06:58 AM
I understand that T8 fluorescent tube guards are also a good size and material for use as an internal sled. I haven't been to the hardware store lately to pick one up for testing myself yet. I have also used the M&M mini tube for a speaker holder. om nom nom!