PDA

View Full Version : blade emitter with claws...

THX-n11
10-24-2011, 06:54 AM
hi, i'm after a blade emitter system that has dooku style claws. i want 3 claws on the emitter, it needs to fit mhs parts. i have found some clawed emitters on ultra sabers, the raven and war glaive but i do not like the war glaive emitter system and whilst i do like the raven setup and they do sell the claws there is no emitter for sale that suits it unless i buy a totally new hilt. as i do not need a full hilt, nor want to pay the $100 they are asking for it my question to you people out there is - does anyone know where i can find such a clawed emitter kit that has the ability to have 3 claws with the emitter and retention screw that will fit mhs parts and take a 1inch diameter blade? any help would be appreciated.

JamoUp
10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
if it's not for sale in the store here, build it yourself.
asking where to buy things that aren't here is bad form.

THX-n11
10-24-2011, 08:49 AM
ok 1st- im new to all this. 2nd- how was i to know. offence was not my mission. 3rd i don't have access to a lathe or machining facilities. 4th if you had bothered to look at my status you would realise im a noob only trying to get into this great hobby, what were you like when you 1st started eh? did you ask questions? did you make unintended mistakes? probably. so go easy dude, im just asking for help, not smart ass noob bashing comments. how about posting me a link on how to make such a thing to an amateur like me instead of getting all self righteous on me. help not chastise. it's what i would do had the roles been reversed. i wanted something to fit an mhs sabre i am building for the 1st time with what i have available so if any others out there have any helpful suggestion i'm all ears.

Silver Serpent
10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Well, Jamo was a bit blunt, but it is one of the big no-no's on this forum. Please read http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read and pay special attention to the section that states:

Banned Items:
Soliciting sales – Sales are not allowed on the forums! Tim does not condone any buying or selling, both publicly and via PMs. Remember, he CAN read all of your private messages. This includes linking to eBay for your own sales (without Tim's approval).

There are many stickies with good and useful information on them. It will save you a lot of hurt feelings if you read them over first.

THX-n11
10-24-2011, 09:05 AM
ok no probs. i meant no offence at all. forgive my noobiness. d'oh

Jedi-Loreen
Since you are new, please read all the Stickied threads in each subforum.

If you'd read this one, under "Banned Items", you'd have seen where it says-
"Soliciting sales – Sales are not allowed on the forums! Tim does not condone any buying or selling, both publicly and via PMs. Remember, he CAN read all of your private messages. This includes linking to eBay for your own sales (without Tim's approval)."

This means not only selling something, but asking where to buy something.

And, I see that Silver Serpent beat me to it.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read

(http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read)

Tanimal
Sorry if we get sharp, but it just gets frustrating because questions like this have been answered many times and they are in stickies or you can find it using the search bar. For future reference, check those first when you have a question. That being said, talking about buying and selling from other sources than this shop is against forum rules. However, if you wanted Tim (the owner of tcss) to make you a custom part, that would probably best be discussed over PM.

edit: holy simultaneous posts batman...

Ironphoenix
11-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I have sifted through Ultrasabers and the claws they have for sale are the ONLY thing that they have in stock that Tim doesn't. I say, buy those claws you want and attach em to the MHS emitter you already have. Drill and tap a few holes, and bada-bing! Dooko style saber.

Ironphoenix
11-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Since you are new, please read all the Stickied threads in each subforum.

If you'd read this one, under "Banned Items", you'd have seen where it says-
"Soliciting sales – Sales are not allowed on the forums! Tim does not condone any buying or selling, both publicly and via PMs. Remember, he CAN read all of your private messages. This includes linking to eBay for your own sales (without Tim's approval)."

This means not only selling something, but asking where to buy something.

And, I see that Silver Serpent beat me to it.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read

(http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?7360-Forum-Guidelines-All-members-please-read)

I understand why this is a rule, you guys are looking to protect your business and hobby that you all helped shape. I have had these forums set me straight a few times too. Jedi Loreen was one of them. I know you have been here and feel very strongly about these boards and this activity. I understand you have the power to block and ban me from this forum. But I have to say, your addition to the Soliciting Sales rule is GARBAGE.

He can't even ASK about parts he found on his own? It's not like he was hawking Ultrasabers, trying to pull us all away from TCSS. He wanted some advice on parts. The Dooku style saber has been around for almost a decade, and other saber sites have a claw option. Perhaps Tim should offer a style or two? I know I sure would like that. As of now, if I wanted a clawed emitter without having to arrange a custom order I would be FORCED to try another source.

Right, go ahead. Tell me why I'm out of line.

FenderBender
11-09-2011, 04:41 PM
How do you know Tim isn't and hasn't been working hard on a simple system for implementing claws? The only other 'site' (singular) that offers a DIY claw/emitter is US, and they are infringing on the MHS system by doing so. This is another reason that it shouldn't really be discussed here. This is a DIY hobby. If it isn't readily available, DIY. Simple. Or barring that, how about, I dunno, contacting Tim directly and see what he can do? That seems like it would make sense to me.

ARKM
11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
The only other 'site' (singular) that offers a DIY claw/emitter is US, and they are infringing on the MHS system by doing so.

Really? How so? As far as I can tell, the claws, strictly by themselves, will attach to any round aluminum tube that is around 1.4" to 1.5" in diameter. I'm just curious as to what I must be missing when looking at them.

FenderBender
11-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry, meant the emitter...not really the claws by themselves...but semantics....

ARKM
11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Ah. Thanks. I missed the "/emitter" part. I only had claws on the brain, lol.

While it would be cool to see more mass produced claws on the market, according to Tim, the demand is not high enough to warrant it/make it feasible. If we're lucky, maybe he will do limited runs or something in the future (crosses fingers).

FenderBender
11-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I have claws on the brain too....:D

Been trying to come up with new ways to do them myself.

sini star
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
You could make your own claws using a jig saw or band saw. Start by making your design on paper for a pattern. I would use some type of thin wood for a trial run claw. Once you have the design you are happy with you can transfer the design on to a piece of plate aluminum and cut it out with the jig saw or band saw. Make sure you use a metal cutting blade in the saw. Shaping and smothing edges can be done with sand paper, metal files, and of course you drimel. It might take some practice with jig saw if you are not used to using one that is why I suggested using wood for trial run. I have made a few claws that way. Hope that might help. As stated do alot of reading tons of info here but there are some sharp edges.
MTFBWYA

Ironphoenix
11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
How do you know Tim isn't and hasn't been working hard on a simple system for implementing claws? The only other 'site' (singular) that offers a DIY claw/emitter is US, and they are infringing on the MHS system by doing so. This is another reason that it shouldn't really be discussed here. This is a DIY hobby. If it isn't readily available, DIY. Simple. Or barring that, how about, I dunno, contacting Tim directly and see what he can do? That seems like it would make sense to me.

I dig what you're saying Fender, and I agree that US probably shouldn't be making MHS parts, but as I said they have one option Tim hasn't yet offered: two styles of loose claw to fix to any emitter. And while I am all about DIY, sometimes my skill level gets in the way of my ideas and my patience. I guess I just didn't like the interpretation of the letter of the Solicitation Rule. Oh well, I will drop this subject. MtFbwY

Crystal Chambers
11-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Basic wood working tools and still a bit of a noob. The claws on this only took a weekend....http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10987-Demonica

It would be cool if TCSS offered the mounts at least to make stable claws easier to do. Maybe even some stock for claws we could cut out our own. Mine came out ok but I'm kind of scared of damaging them.

captain_mills
11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I know for a fact that Tim will drill and tap any of the blade holders he carries. With a bench grinder and some creativity, I like the DIY idea. There's something freaking awesome about creating a saber that is unique and totally yours. Plus you get total kudos for finishing a saber, and even more praise for customizing your own parts.

Noobs make mistakes, and so do long-time members... An offence is only an offence if it is taken as such. The advice given here is terrific and should be heeded. I spent weeks researching the forums and their stickies before I posted my first questions. I'm no pro, but finishing my first saber did wonders for my confidence. On top of that, even when I thought it was finished, the folks here were very helpful when it came to improving it. I'm currently working on saving some funds up for the purchase of parts for my second saber.

If at first you don't succeed, share your failures so others can learn, and take another crack at it! :) Like I said before, nothing will earn you more "thumbs-ups" than homemade custom and creative parts...

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Darsha Sinis
11-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi, I haven't engaged much on this forum, sorry, but I've read an enormous amount of it, and will try to participate better...

I am deep in the finishing stages of my sith lightsaber still in progress. It has 3 claws or 'forks' as i call them that attach to Emitter #18.
I used 1/4 black ABS to make my forks, and flat sanded them on a bar steel with 220grit sandpaper to taper the width on each side to a blunted 1/8" point at the tip.
They sit in 3 equidistant channels across the large central shoulder 'mound' (look at Blade Holder #18, you'll see to what i refer); I cut and filed them with a dremel metal cutting disc, round stone grinder bit and mill and jewelers files. About 3/16" deep, so each fork sits in their channel snugly.
I cut a slot in each fork near the bottom, flush with the surface of the mound face. i used a hose clamp, a larger one so that the band has none of the slots the worm gear engages in them. i cut off the adjuster and the slotted parts of the clamp, so i have just a flat steel clamp 1/2" wide. I ran the clamp through each slot. the ends are about an 1/8" apart, and have a screw hole and a small second hole on each tip. the small holes engage with the tips of a c-clip pliers. squeeze the pliers together, the band ends meet, and the screw holes align with tapped screw holes beneath them. Insert a screw in each hole, and you have all 3 claws firmly located and clamped in 3 axes. my forks have a tail to them that run back onto the shroud of the main body, and i could put a cap head allen screw in there, but i don't want to mess up the esthetics.
I painted the forks a deep black, and also most of the emitter, and the clamp, using that awesome black appliance epoxy spray.. I buffed the flat surfaces and detail weathered all exposed edges and points to suggest age and wear and tear. The band for the most part blends in with the emitter and claws.
After i have the saber at a satisfying degree of 'doneness', I'll go back and re-make the forks out of 1/4 aluminum, the stock for which I have on hand.
I'll post pictures of what i'm talking about above, tonight from home.

Here are pics of what I described...
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/890/darshasaber5pommel.jpg
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1025/darshasaber4.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6403/darshasaber3.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3634/darshasaber2.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/402/darshasaber1.jpg

Cheers,
~Darsha Sinis
Not Jedi, Not Sith, an unaligned Dark Sider from the Sith Empire era.

acerocket
11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I dig what you're saying Fender, and I agree that US probably shouldn't be making MHS parts, but as I said they have one option Tim hasn't yet offered: two styles of loose claw to fix to any emitter. And while I am all about DIY, sometimes my skill level gets in the way of my ideas and my patience. I guess I just didn't like the interpretation of the letter of the Solicitation Rule. Oh well, I will drop this subject. MtFbwY

Your are mistaken. TIm offered two different claw styles and a mount many years ago. From what I have heard, they just were not that popular of an item and they eventually were phased out of the store. I know they have been asked for over and over but as with most things 'ask 50 people what they want and you will get 100 different answers.' There can never be any concensus when Tim asks what people want for claws. Some want a mount to hold one claw like a Dooku might have. Others want 2 claws, 3 claws, or 16 claws. Some want to be able to mount them to any blade holder, others to the pommel, and still others to just about any MHS section. Some want dull blades for looks, others want razor sharp claws for cleaning their kill. Some want aluminun, others brass, some want anodized and some want unobtanium claws. For a part that is not that popular, I don't think Tim wants to make 1138 different claw types/configurations. Maybe some day Tim will have a viable claw option, but for now, it's a DIY part.

J-Saber33
11-14-2011, 03:52 PM
On the subject of DIY,
Aluminum/Brass + bench grinding wheel = kaboom

Just saying, be careful out there

FenderBender
11-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, you'd use a belt sander for aluminum/brass/copper as they would clog the pores of a grinding wheel anyway.....