PDA

View Full Version : MindHow long to recharge a 3.7v battery?

Noyl Wendor
10-19-2011, 09:31 PM
So I'm done with the "hard" part of wiring the sound board, recharge port, and single 3.7v trustfier 18650 battery. So I'm charging it, and its taking a really long time. Mind you this is the "protected" cell, I have it wired to a recharge port and I am using the Lit-ion charger. For some reason I thought it would take less time.
How long does a Lit-ion usually take to charge?
I also read one line (in millions of researched posts) that it was not a good idea to wire a battery like this to a recharge port. But I can't see why.
Unless the smart charger is telling the pcb in the battery lies. :)
Still wondering why it takes so long.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-19-2011, 09:43 PM
How long does a Lit-ion usually take to charge?Until it's done. ;) Seriously, it could take two hours or more....maybe less.

Noyl Wendor
10-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Okay I'll go with that :) I remember a 7.4v lit-ion taking less time. Is that odd? I know the amount of power the battery carries has only a little to do with the recharge time. I am second guessing using the 3.7v lit-ion 18650 with wires soldered on it. Maybe thats my issue :) First time soldering one of those batterys

Silver Serpent
10-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Clarification about protected cells and recharge ports: You should avoid using *multiple* protected cells with a recharge port if possible. It can be done, but you need to take some extra steps to maximize battery life and safety. Just using one is completely fine.

18650 batteries hold a lot of power, and they take quite a while to charge. The smaller 14500s charge much faster.

Noyl Wendor
10-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Clarification about protected cells and recharge ports: You should avoid using *multiple* protected cells with a recharge port if possible. It can be done, but you need to take some extra steps to maximize battery life and safety. Just using one is completely fine.

18650 batteries hold a lot of power, and they take quite a while to charge. The smaller 14500s charge much faster.
Yeppers :) I'm only using one 18650 in that hilt, I don't want PCB's having a slug fest in my saber while I'm trying to "play" in the back yard. Wow, taken out of context that could be so not rated G :)
Any way, the light went "green" about 4 hours later. I'll say this, I see a difference between lit-ion, and Nimh, sound, brightness. I could be wrong but to me it looks brighter and sounds louder. The one thing is I'm not fond of the battery size, its a beast. My current project is my vintage Graflex thats been sitting on the shelf in its untouched glory. About 7 years has passed so now its time to sully it. Bwhahhaha! I'm doing x2 3.7 lit-ion (out of hilt recharge) a chassis, and lit crystal. Looking at accent LED's as we speak.
Still not completely sold on lit-ion yet. But I'm going to give it a few more projects before I make up my mind. My mind is pretty small, so it should be quick LOL, ah...I slay me.
cheers

Silver Serpent
10-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Once you reach the point where you need 7v+ in your saber, there's really no choice other than li-ion. 7.4v in a saber hilt would take 5 alkalines, or 6 NiMH. You can get the same voltage from only 2 li-ions. The discharge curve is nicer as well. You tend to stay closer to the 3.7v per battery while it drains. And then there is runtime. Sure, they take a loooong time to recharge, but they also take that much longer to discharge as well.

More voltage, more runtime, less space. What's not to love? :)

Noyl Wendor
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Once you reach the point where you need 7v+ in your saber, there's really no choice other than li-ion. 7.4v in a saber hilt would take 5 alkalines, or 6 NiMH. You can get the same voltage from only 2 li-ions. The discharge curve is nicer as well. You tend to stay closer to the 3.7v per battery while it drains. And then there is runtime. Sure, they take a loooong time to recharge, but they also take that much longer to discharge as well.

More voltage, more runtime, less space. What's not to love? :)

Very good points indeed. I'm kinda old school I guess, the other thing is I don't sell a lot. So I don't really think in terms of what everyone wants in a pimped out saber. However I've come to that point where I'm finding its kinda fun trying out the new power solutions. :)