PDA

View Full Version : Continuous clashing sound until the blades break contact?

Millenniumfalsehood
10-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to mod a board, or indeed build a new one, where the "clash" sound doesn't end until pressure is released from the blade. In the OT battles especially, the duelists would often lock their blades, resulting in a "static" noise until the blades released. I haven't seen any saber mods yet that have this feature, and I don't know if it's even possible, but I would like to try.

I think it would involve a pressure sensor on the blade holder, but I'm not sure how to mount it, which one would work the best, or how to connect it to any existing board design (I'm thinking a custom board using Arduino products would be best). I might be able to connect it to an existing clash sensor and have it continuously send a signal to it, but again, I'm not at all sure how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

KuroChou
10-07-2011, 01:34 PM
what you're referring to is commonly called "lockup" and is, in fact, a feature in several sound boards.
The idea of using some sort of pressure sensitive switch in conjunction with the blade holder, to my knowledge, hasn't been discussed at all yet.
One could probably build some sort of custom piezo switch to achieve this effect. Maybe one of the EE's will chime in.

Sunrider
10-07-2011, 02:25 PM
You could just hold the button down like the rest of us. ;) There is no good way to do this because it would lockup instead of clash.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-07-2011, 09:49 PM
what you're referring to is commonly called "lockup" and is, in fact, a feature in several sound boards.
The idea of using some sort of pressure sensitive switch in conjunction with the blade holder, to my knowledge, hasn't been discussed at all yet.
One could probably build some sort of custom piezo switch to achieve this effect. Maybe one of the EE's will chime in.It actually was discussed on these very forums a few years ago. i believe erv was even in on the discussion and one idea was to use a pressure sensitive tape-like switch inside the blade socket. I don't think anything ever came out of the discussions, though, because it was simply easier to use a second button and hold it down with one of your fingers, as Sunrider mentioned.

Skottsaber
10-08-2011, 08:56 AM
There was in fact a version of CF (waaay back) that used a pressure sensor in the bladeholder to activate lockup. I'm not sure what came of it, but I'm guessing that simply having an aux switch was an easier solution.

psab keel
10-10-2011, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd_wRuIYrE&feature=channel_video_title

Mandalorian
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd_wRuIYrE&feature=channel_video_title

YES! I knew I'd seen this somewhere. Thanks for refreshing my memory.