PDA

View Full Version : Saber 2 : Electric Boogaloo

pezzer75
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
For my second effort. I decided to add somethings to this saber I have yet to see on another. First I started with getting the 4" double female grooved extension. However, I went with tri-wing security screws instead of buttonhead allen screws.

I thought originally that I would use my gender changer to connect the grooved with another extension. Then I had a vision, a triad of brass tubes connecting the grooved to another extension. Well, after fighting with different design concepts I decided to give the illusion of a crystal chamber and have a opaque tube in the middle of the brass tubes illuminated the same color the blade will be. The triad became a quartet and I got a test setup working to my liking.
Now to rethink the rest of the saber I had originally designed and come up with something new and hopefully awesome

Ronan
10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I like those screws. It might be what i was looking for when using that part on my 6 month old project. The button heads i have seemed 'out of place'.

Thanks!

Ripper
10-05-2011, 04:05 PM
This is going to be sick!!

Crystal Chambers
10-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice! There's been discussion of tamper proof screws here before to keep people from tampering with sabers once they're sold and trying to send it back for free repair. I like the brass tube idea. Opaque won't allow light to pass through. I believe you mean translucent? I'm curious to see how it turns out. Do you think it might be secure enough for dueling or does that matter?

pezzer75
10-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Yeah, I meant translucent. I think the section should be strong enough to duel with. I may be trying a second version with it because it didn't turn out as clean as I would have liked. I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on a drill press for that though. I have a few ideas that will make it stronger and cleaner.

pezzer75
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Ok, So it's been a while since I posted on this and with the holidays and working retail, and the old republic having come out, this kind of took a back burner. after this I look at it and came to the conclusion that the piece i made looked to small for use with the MHS parts.
So I decided to change it in to two sabers. The tube section would go in to a sink tube saber and the MHS would become its own entity to be worked on later. well when I was modifying the piece to work with my new design, it crumbled in my hand.
While I was coming up with a redesign of the section. I though up a method for a pommel on a sink tube saber. Here are the results of that6345634663476348
So basically what I did was wrap the base of the sink tube with aluminum tape. Screw the bottom nut on, and place your choice of fill material. I used a 1.5" copper coupler, but on a earlier prototype I used MHS sleeve material. Now I recommend tapping the hole for you covertec or d ring prior to attaching because this next step is slightly permanent. So I then took some 2 part metal epoxy and rolled it in to a thin bead and placed around the edge of the copper. I made extra sure the flat pieces of the 2 nuts matched each other.

Hopefully in the next week or so I can complete this saber and move on to an idea that hit me the other night. Hint- it has to do with my name

TD-2272
01-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Pretty neat idea keep it up

pezzer75
01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I think I am going to name this saber Lucy. Every time I think I am about to be able to finish it, it pulls the football away and I end up on my back. ARGH!

pezzer75
01-23-2012, 04:18 AM
So I finally finished my 2nd saber. It has 2 MHS 1.5 sink tube adapters,and a pommel #5 for the blade holder. It has a switch box #4 above what I like to call a faux crystal chamber. the chamber is run by 2 blue LEDs in to bic mechanical pencils. For sound it has a Ultimate FX sound board and a TCSS premium speaker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eyXVusMilU

pezzer75
02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
So, I decided with the MHS pieces that I didn't use , I would create another saber. Also, I felt it was time I made a sith saber. In that I started by painting the double female grooved all black.
I baked the piece and somehow it came out with a really weird, but cool texture to it. (Thanks to Azmaria for the paint backing tutorial)I then took a small triangular file and removed the paint from the grooves.
I had a shroud that I was planing to use earlier but ended up not using it so I modded it for this saber and pained a 4" extension, #10 Pommel and #13 Blade holder and baked them.
Here are all the pieces and what they look like together with the aforementioned shroud.
Tomorrow I start on wiring the PC for the build. I got the light meat, but I think I need a more sithy font. I'll have to look in to that as well.