PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Trick To This?

yell0w_lantern
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I started my foray into recharge ports early this month and have finished 5 sabers that have them.

During construction I noticed that I would often have to desolder and resolder the wires to a recharge port several times before a boot sound would be produced. I have yet to determine whether I was connecting the wire to the terminal too far out on the pin, too close in on the pin or on the wrong surface (inner versus outer).

I eventually got all of them to work as far getting power to the board.

Is there some "sweet spot" on these things?

And given all the troubles I've had I am nervous that I screwed up on the positive leads (which would send power to the board even if not properly hooked to the positive terminal on the recharge port). How can I tell if the wires to the positive terminal are connected well enough?

Jay-gon Jinn
09-27-2011, 08:53 PM
The only trick I've ever found to this is to make sure you have a good solder connection on the recharge port tabs.

Zzan
09-28-2011, 06:18 AM
I didn't have a problem at all on mine. I just followed the pics in the Petit Crouton manual for where the wires went and it came out perfectly, the only re-soldering I had to do was due to the fact that I couldn't cram all the connectors I had into my saber so I had to cut them out and direct solder everything but the Blade LED, Battery pack, and speaker.

I would say just be careful not to solder too far toward the base and "bridge" the connectors accidentally by using too much solder. But really anywhere on the prong/contact should be safe to solder to.

yell0w_lantern
09-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Maybe the problem is the sound boards I'm using. They do seem kind of finicky.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-28-2011, 11:37 PM
The ports are also notoriously finicky and can go bad easily if you solder and re solder. Also be careful not to bridge anything. Just solder to the tabs and don't touch the body of the port with your connections.

Silver Serpent
09-29-2011, 04:58 AM
The ports are also notoriously finicky and can go bad easily if you solder and re solder. Also be careful not to bridge anything. Just solder to the tabs and don't touch the body of the port with your connections.

Been there, done that. Glad I had a spare. :)