PDA

View Full Version : "Debris": An homage to Slothfurnace's "Derelict"

Ballistic Jello
09-25-2011, 08:25 AM
After much wiring, rewiring, soldering, de-soldering, cursing, and recursing, I present to you Debris. I saw Slothfurnace's excellent Derelict and was inspired. I had to build a similar saber...even though I knew that I would never attain Sloth's level of craftsmanship. So here it is, as a friend of mine might say, "In all it's rotten glory"...Debris.

Sunrider
09-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Cool I like it. And you even have a black couch for the pic. :D

ARKM
09-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Looks good.

Ty_Bomber
09-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Very nice. That new BH is perfect for that build. I think the fluted grips was a nice distinguishing feature too. Surprised you didn't go for a 4" double female with extension like Jay and Sloth used, but it makes it unique. I think that extension is underused as it is. Cheers.

vargose
09-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Looks great. I like it. May have to build one myself. Is it just me or is there something strange about the hole for the button on top?

slothfurnace
09-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Wow, nice, I had to do a double take from the thumbnails to make sure you didn't sneak into my office to take those pics!

Nice job!

boshwan527
09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
awesome build!

Silver Serpent
09-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Very nice indeed! And that's some high praise from sloth as well! :)

Ballistic Jello
09-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Hey thanks peeps! And thank you very much Mr. Slothfurnace sir! (In my best voice-cracking teenage recruit impression) I was wondering if anyone would catch that I photographed it on a black leather couch like Derelict's original pics, and Sunrider got it right off the bat. Sorry about the slightly blurry pictures, by the way. My Canon 50mm 1.4 prime lens is a tricky beast with depth of field. Love the lens, but it does seem to have a higher learning curve than my 28-105 lens. The Graflex part of Debris is from an early version of the Master Replicas Anakin saber, not the Shop's new G-flex style bladeholder. But I am glad that they have that sweet new BH and will definitely be using it in one of my future saber projects. But not my next, because I think I will be doing a brassy, steampunk-y saber based off of Crystal Chambers' Mantis...Another saber I fell in love with when I saw it...

Xanatos1986
09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
You do show skill, impressive, most impressive. I always love seeing new sabers.

KuroChou
09-26-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm hoping to get my first prime lens soon... My 18-55, 28-80, and 70-300, while versatile, aren't always the most effective. Especially since I refuse to work with an ISO above 400.

Anywho, back to the whole point of the thread... It is a pretty impressive saber. I've got a few designs using those fluted extensions, and I'm glad they look as good assembled as they do in the renders.
Excellent work on the switch placement. Very clean.

jedimastergarcia87
09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice hilt. Does it have sound like Petit Crouton? I think the saber would deserve such a sound board. =]

Jedi Mynock
09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
yeah a video with sound would be sweet! give it at least a hasbro econo board.
love the black pommel!
the whole thing has a "is it sith? or is it jedi?" feel to it. very OT, so it gets my approval ;)

slothfurnace
09-27-2011, 07:56 AM
Very nice. That new BH is perfect for that build. I think the fluted grips was a nice distinguishing feature too. Surprised you didn't go for a 4" double female with extension like Jay and Sloth used, but it makes it unique. I think that extension is underused as it is. Cheers.

Oh by the way, that fluted extention I used as the grip for Derelict wasn't an MHS piece, it was just some scrap I had laying around that just fit the outside diameter of the MHS threads. It is a slip fit, with set screws to hold it down.

Ty_Bomber
09-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Oh by the way, that fluted extention I used as the grip for Derelict wasn't an MHS piece, it was just some scrap I had laying around that just fit the outside diameter of the MHS threads. It is a slip fit, with set screws to hold it down.

Good to know! I really appreciated the spacing on the grooves. I had assumed that the screws were aesthetic, and the grooves were custom-machined onto the piece to give it the wider spaces. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Ballistic Jello
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Debris has an Obi Hasbro econo board...As do all of my 3 sabers I have built so far. I was really hoping someone would come up with a way to keep the LED bright (in this case, a Royal Blue Rebel) while running it off of the speaker negative...But alas, that has not happened yet. And from what I can tell, this RB Rebel needs all the help it can get brightness wise. My brother's saber that I built for him is a red P4 and it is much brighter than this one unless I just got done charging the battery.

As far as the look of the saber (Sith or Jedi?), I have come to the conclusion that (in my opinion anyway) sabers look best with a good deal of contrast. Light/dark, brass/copper, smooth/textured...You know, a balance kind of thing. I also like the black pommel, (and the unintentional weathering that has happened to the paint on it) it almost makes up for not having the Acerocket pommel that Sloth used on Derelict.

thejedilestat
10-04-2011, 05:22 PM

looks good

Darth_Plexus
12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Wow this is really nice. :) Personally, it looks like it could be more so a Sith lightsaber, only because of the inital look of Derelict, as well as a slight personal remembrance of Starkiller's first light saber

Darth_Plexus
12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
If its okay to know, hat pieces did you use to make this? (Im not trying to completely copy or take credit but the way these kind of lightsaber parts are, are my favorite. And that Im attempting my first lightsaber so Im not sure what parts I should use.) I understand if you dont want to say either.

Artorius Vidnyl
12-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow, this has REALLY inspired me to try using sink tubing in a creative way. Very impressive!

tachikoma1
12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
"...wiring, rewiring, soldering, de-soldering, cursing, recursing....." HA! I resemble that! Believe me, I feel your pain. But there's nothing like firing it up for the first time and everything works! I like your design!

zephyr37
12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
awesome looking. What color is the AV switch? It looks bluish/white? Is that an AV switch you got at TCSS? definitely looks cool. Do you have a video for this saber?

After much wiring, rewiring, soldering, de-soldering, cursing, and recursing, I present to you Debris. I saw Slothfurnace's excellent Derelict and was inspired. I had to build a similar saber...even though I knew that I would never attain Sloth's level of craftsmanship. So here it is, as a friend of mine might say, "In all it's rotten glory"...Debris.

Ballistic Jello
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Sorry to necro the thread, but didn't want to leave any questions unanswered. Debris is made up of a blade holder style 2, an MHS ribbed extension, a 3 inch fluted double female extension, and an MPS pommel style 3 vers. 2... With a Master Replicas (early version) Anakin saber piece over the blade holder. It is the blue ring momentary switch from the store. Which in this instance at least, matches the Royal Blue LED that Debris has...It, like the LED, looks more bright and cyan-like in the pics than in person...Hope that helps.