PDA

View Full Version : Cheap saber sound board idea. I need some input.

Darth Magnus.
09-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyones tried making there own sound board (from scratch) besides the mighty erv.
I have been tinkering with the idea of programming an Arduino nano to play sounds from an SD card when it receives signals from a tri-axis accelerometer.
The total parts for this would be around $45 ($15 for Arduino + $20 for accelerometer and $10 for SD card). So would this be a good alternative to the other cheap and nasty sounds cards that are around?

JRD1
09-20-2011, 06:41 AM
Hi guys, just wondering if anyones tried making there own sound board (from scratch) besides the mighty erv.
I have been tinkering with the idea of programming an Arduino nano to play sounds from an SD card when it receives signals from a tri-axis accelerometer.
The total parts for this would be around $45 ($15 for Arduino + $20 for accelerometer and $10 for SD card). So would this be a good alternative to the other cheap and nasty sounds cards that are around?

Before someone destroys all hope and turns you to the darkside, let me share my experience with building my own board... First off I am a EE so knowing what to do was not an issue, I have built a a board of sorts on a bread board (something used to create a type of circut before having a board printed and parts applied). I called around to some places, and the smallest batch order I could get was 50 and the cost was high... relativly speaking since I only needed a few or so... Anyhow it was a fun adventure and I may in the future have them built, but for the Price and what you get the PC is a awsome board, tailored for people like us, what more do you want!LOL But try your idea and have fun, who knows what you might come up with! Good luck!!

Darth Magnus.
09-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I am a huge fan of all evr's products and own a few. I was just trying to think of ways to put together something cheap for beginners.

Skottsaber
09-20-2011, 07:49 AM
There has been discussion on creating a soundboard out of Arduino, and it was moved to another discussion board.
As far as I know there hasn't been a lot of success in minaturisation. If you want more info on where that discussion is PM me.

Also - remember that TCSS sells a soundboard, so development of one on this forum would have to be with his permission.

KuroChou
09-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Also, there's a thread lurking in the darkness somewhere, about an open source analog hum soundboard, that pitch shifts using an accelerometer. It was a community project that slowly died.

Skottsaber
09-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Also considering a bare arduino is $20 plus, start adding hardware in the form of another PCB and parts, and you start getting into the range where simply upgrading to something like a PC is less of a hassle.
I'm not saying don't try, but keep that in mind if you're going for "cheap" ;)

Darth Magnus.
09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
As always Skott has an excellent point. I always seem to forget this store based forum, so talk about outside products is prohibited :( but its for the best. I wouldn't want people taking away from Tim's business.

KuroChou
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Posting reverse engineered specs of a PC, or soliciting sales of your own board are prohibited, but AFAIK, discussing the idea of building your own arduino based board is fine. Even if you nailed down an effective system, it wouldn't be in direct competition, because the manufacture would be too costly/difficult for the majority of Tim's customers. Healthy R&D on the forums is actually a benefit to the business As often as possible, Tim stocks the solutions we find for him, so that everyone can enjoy the product.

Darth Magnus.
09-20-2011, 06:54 PM
I have now found an online electronics supplier that can sell me Arduino nanos for under $15 and tri-axis accelerometers for $10. With the use of a few bits and pieces and some spare time i think i could put together a descent sound board.
If I made some easily usable code do you think Tim would be interested in selling them in store as a beginners sound option?
In theory. If I can get it to work (thats a big if)

KuroChou
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
He might. Focus on getting it working first, and if it's good, you can ask him about it.

Darth Magnus.
09-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Cool :)
well Ive got a decent project ahead of me